1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the combined centroid of two regions given the centroids of both regions

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    4egGGDp.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to do this problem by taking the average of the y-bar centroid values but that gave me the wrong answer. I am only interesting in knowing why this method is incorrect.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the definition of centroid? Your method would be valid if the areas of the two regions were equal.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It can be shown that the centroid of the union of two (non-overlapping) regions is the weighted average of the two centroids, weighted by the areas of the regions. That is, if the two regions have centroid [itex](x_1, y_1)[/itex] and [itex](x_2, y_2)[/itex] and have areas [itex]A_1[/itex] and [itex]A_2[/itex], respectively, then the centroid of the combined regions is at
    [tex]\left(\frac{A_1x_1+ A_2x_2}{A_1+ A_2}, \frac{A_1y_1+ A_2y_2}{A_1+ A_2}\right)[/tex]

5. Feb 7, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Finding the combined centroid of two regions given the centroids o

As your grandmother should have taught you, don't take an average of averages. If an elephant and a flea get on opposite ends of a symmetric seesaw, will they balance? So where's their combined centroid?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook