Solving for Car & Biker's Meeting Point w/ Variable d

In summary: If so, you can set up two equations: one for d, the displacement of both the biker and the car from the starting point, and one for v, the relative velocity of the biker with respect to the car.In summary, to find the distance d at which the biker just catches up to the car, you need to set up two equations: one for the displacement of both the biker and the car from the starting point, and one for the relative velocity of the biker with respect to the car.
StrawHat

Homework Statement

A car is stopped at an intersection with a red light and a biker (in a bike lane) with velocity v is approaching the car. When the biker is a distance d from the intersection, the light turns green and the car begins to accelerate at a constant acceleration a. If the biker just barely catches up to the car as the car accelerates, how far from the intersection will the biker just catch up to the car? Put your answers only using variable d, not v and a.

Homework Equations

xfinal = xinitial + vt
xfinal = xinitial + vinitialt + 0.5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

xbike = -d + vbiket
xcar = 0 + 0 + 0.5at2

Because they should meet at the same location...
xbike = xcar
-d + vt = 0.5at2

d = vt - 0.5at2

But the solution still has v and a, so I am completely stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi StrawHat. Your final equation is a quadratic in t. If you solve this for t and use the condition that the biker and the car are at the same position for only a single time, make it so that the answer for t only has real solution. From this you should be able to get an equation for the time and for the distance d. Substituting these back into either xbike or xcar you should have your answer.

Sleepy_time said:
Hi StrawHat. Your final equation is a quadratic in t. If you solve this for t and use the condition that the biker and the car are at the same position for only a single time, make it so that the answer for t only has real solution. From this you should be able to get an equation for the time and for the distance d. Substituting these back into either xbike or xcar you should have your answer.

I saw the quadratic too, so I tried to solve for t, and this is what I got:

t = (v ± √(v2 - 2ad)) / a

I will try to substitute this into either xbike or xcar and see what I get.

EDIT: I got xbike = -d + (v2 ± v√(v2 - 2ad))/a

I must be doing something wrong again...

StrawHat said:
I saw the quadratic too, so I tried to solve for t, and this is what I got:

t = (v ± √(v2 - 2ad)) / a

I will try to substitute this into either xbike or xcar and see what I get.

EDIT: I got xbike = -d + (v2 ± v√(v2 - 2ad))/a

I must be doing something wrong again...

It tells you that the bike barely catches up with the car, i.e. they are at the same position at only one point in time. in your equation you have 2 point because of the ±. So make it so that the ± "vanishes" so you only have one solution for the time.

Sleepy_time said:
It tells you that the bike barely catches up with the car, i.e. they are at the same position at only one point in time. in your equation you have 2 point because of the ±. So make it so that the ± "vanishes" so you only have one solution for the time.

How do you tell which one gives you the positive d if v, a, and d are all unknowns?

EDIT: I've tried checking to see which one will give me a positive d, and I got the two equations:

v > -√(v2 - 2ad) and v > √(v2 - 2ad)

StrawHat said:
How do you tell which one gives you the positive d if v, a, and d are all unknowns?

So what you have is:
[itex]t=\frac{v}{a}\pm\sqrt{\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}}[/itex]​

You have to have only one solution, not choose either + or -, instead choose what [itex]\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}[/itex] is, so that there is only.

Also, the values for t will both be positive because, you can see that [itex]\frac{v^2}{a^2}\geq\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}[/itex]. But those don't matter because if we choose the -ve, then they meet at this time and also at another time for the +ve, so they met twice, which is not what the question wants.

Hope this helps.

Sleepy_time said:
So what you have is:
[itex]t=\frac{v}{a}\pm\sqrt{\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}}[/itex]​

You have to have only one solution, not choose either + or -, instead choose what [itex]\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}[/itex] is, so that there is only.

Also, the values for t will both be positive because, you can see that [itex]\frac{v^2}{a^2}\geq\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}[/itex]. But those don't matter because if we choose the -ve, then they meet at this time and also at another time for the +ve, so they met twice, which is not what the question wants.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I'm still totally stuck. I'm not sure how to get only one solution for the above equation.

StrawHat said:

Homework Statement

A car is stopped at an intersection with a red light and a biker (in a bike lane) with velocity v is approaching the car. When the biker is a distance d from the intersection, the light turns green and the car begins to accelerate at a constant acceleration a. If the biker just barely catches up to the car as the car accelerates, how far from the intersection will the biker just catch up to the car? Put your answers only using variable d, not v and a.

Homework Equations

xfinal = xinitial + vt
xfinal = xinitial + vinitialt + 0.5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

xbike = -d + vbiket
xcar = 0 + 0 + 0.5at2

Because they should meet at the same location...
xbike = xcar
-d + vt = 0.5at2

d = vt - 0.5at2

But the solution still has v and a, so I am completely stuck.
Hello StrawHat. Welcome to PF !

If the biker just barely catches up to the car as the car accelerates, then at the point, and time, at which the biker catches up to the car, don't they both have the same velocity?

Ok, so to get one solution choose that [itex]\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}=0[/itex], this is so that we get rid of the ± which gives 2 solutions. If you input this into the equation for time, as well as re-arrange for d, you should have d and t as functions of a and v. Substitute back into xcar or xbike and then use your equation for d to find the distance as some function of d.

SammyS said:
Hello StrawHat. Welcome to PF !

If the biker just barely catches up to the car as the car accelerates, then at the point, and time, at which the biker catches up to the car, don't they both have the same velocity?

I don't think so. The bike is traveling at a constant velocity from a distance of d, so if the car was going at the same velocity, the bike would never catch up to the car with a constant acceleration.

If you're not convinced by what I did, you can also differentiate your function of time with respect to d and equal it to infinity (or re-arrange for d=f(t) and differentiate this with respect to time and equal it to 0 because [itex]\frac{d(d)}{dt}=(\frac{d(t)}{dd})^{-1}=0[/itex]) this is to find the maximum/minimum values of d for any time. We want the maximum value because the equation is for when they meet, just we want the furthest so that they just meet. This will give the same answer.

Last edited:

StrawHat said:
I don't think so. The bike is traveling at a constant velocity from a distance of d, so if the car was going at the same velocity, the bike would never catch up to the car with a constant acceleration.

But the problem says that the biker just barely catches up to the car.
This means that the biker never passes the car, he just momentarily is at the same position when the car again overtakes the biker.

Sleepy_time said:
Ok, so to get one solution choose that [itex]\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}=0[/itex], this is so that we get rid of the ± which gives 2 solutions. If you input this into the equation for time, as well as re-arrange for d, you should have d and t as functions of a and v. Substitute back into xcar or xbike and then use your equation for d to find the distance as some function of d.

After I did [itex]\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}=0[/itex], this is what I ended up with:

[itex]d = \frac{v^2}{2a}[/itex]

I plugged it into this:

xbike = -d + vt

And I still can't manage to get an answer with only d.

Did you get an expression for t?

Villyer said:
Did you get an expression for t?

Yes, [itex]t=\frac{v}{a}[/itex]

EDIT: Further plugging and chugging led to an answer of this:

xbike = d = xcar

I guess that's the right answer...?

Last edited:

StrawHat said:
After I did [itex]\frac{v^2}{a^2}-\frac{2d}{a}=0[/itex], this is what I ended up with:

[itex]d = \frac{v^2}{2a}[/itex]

I plugged it into this:

xbike = -d + vt

And I still can't manage to get an answer with only d.

Ok so:
[itex]x_{bike}=-d+v\frac{v}{a}=-d+\frac{v^2}{a}[/itex]

You then have [itex]d=\frac{v^2}{2a} \rightarrow x=-d+2d=d[/itex], you chose your coordinates such that the intersection is at x=0, so they'll meet a distance d after the intersection.

I hope you realize how I've come to this.

Sleepy_time said:
Ok so:
[itex]x_{bike}=-d+v\frac{v}{a}=-d+\frac{v^2}{a}[/itex]

You then have [itex]d=\frac{v^2}{2a} \rightarrow x=-d+2d=d[/itex], you chose your coordinates such that the intersection is at x=0, so they'll meet a distance d after the intersection.

I hope you realize how I've come to this.

Yes, and that is how I got the answer d. Thank you so much for your help!

What is the formula for solving for the car and biker's meeting point?

The formula for solving for the car and biker's meeting point with a variable distance is: Meeting Point = (Car's Distance * Biker's Speed) / (Car's Speed + Biker's Speed)

How do I determine the distance of the car and biker from their starting points?

To determine the distance of the car and biker from their starting points, you can use the formula: Distance = Speed * Time. Time can be calculated by dividing the distance by the speed of the car or biker.

What should I do if the car and biker have different starting points?

If the car and biker have different starting points, you will need to calculate the difference in their starting distances and subtract it from the total distance to find their meeting point.

How do I solve for the meeting point if the car and biker have different speeds?

If the car and biker have different speeds, you can still use the same formula: Meeting Point = (Car's Distance * Biker's Speed) / (Car's Speed + Biker's Speed). Just make sure to plug in the correct values for each variable.

Is there a way to solve for the meeting point if the car and biker have constant acceleration?

Yes, you can use the formula: Meeting Point = (Car's Initial Distance + (Car's Acceleration * Time^2)/2 + (Biker's Initial Speed * Time) - (Biker's Acceleration * Time^2)/2) / (Car's Speed + Biker's Speed). This formula takes into account the changing distance and speed of both the car and biker.