Finding the E-Field between parallel plates

In summary, the Electric Field to the left of the plates is zero because the charge enclosed by that area is zero.
thursdaytbs
I have a positive and a negative charged plate running parallel to one another. To find the Electric Field to the left of the plates, I say:

E dot dA = Qenclosed / permittivity
Then E times 2pi(r) = Qenclosed / Permittivity
then E = Qenclosed / 2pi(r) x Permittivity

and since Qenclosed to the left and right of the parallel plates is zero, E = zero?

And for in between the two plates I can say the charge enclosed is 2pi(r)^2 times the charge enclosed by that area? divided by 2pi(r) x Permittivity?

I'm a little bit lost as to how to explain in detail how to solve for the Electric Field in between oppositely charged parallel plates. Any help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
thursdaytbs said:
I have a positive and a negative charged plate running parallel to one another. To find the Electric Field to the left of the plates, I say:

E dot dA = Qenclosed / permittivity
Then E times 2pi(r) = Qenclosed / Permittivity
then E = Qenclosed / 2pi(r) x Permittivity

and since Qenclosed to the left and right of the parallel plates is zero, E = zero?

I assume your Gauss' surface is a cylinder running perpendicular to the plates and passing through both plates? If so, you're correct, but you must use symetry arguments to justify why the integral on the side (as opposed to caps) of the cylinder is 0. This said, I suspect that you've seen in class what is the field of an infinite uniformly charged plate. Is that correct? If so, how can you use that result, together with the principle of superposition of the electric field to find the answer to all 3 questions in 3 microseconds?

1. What is the electric field between parallel plates?

The electric field between parallel plates is the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle placed between the plates. It is a result of the difference in charge distribution on the plates and can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where V is the potential difference between the plates and d is the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the electric field between parallel plates?

The electric field between parallel plates can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where V is the potential difference between the plates and d is the distance between them. This formula assumes that the plates are infinitely large and have uniform charge distribution.

3. What factors affect the electric field between parallel plates?

The electric field between parallel plates is affected by the potential difference between the plates, the distance between them, and the charge distribution on the plates. Other factors that can affect the electric field include the dielectric constant of the material between the plates and the presence of other nearby charges.

4. How does the direction of the electric field between parallel plates change?

The direction of the electric field between parallel plates is always perpendicular to the plates. It points from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate, regardless of the direction of the potential difference between the plates.

5. Can the electric field between parallel plates be zero?

Yes, the electric field between parallel plates can be zero if the plates have equal and opposite charges or if the potential difference between the plates is zero. Alternatively, the electric field can be zero at certain points between the plates due to cancellation by other charges or external fields.