Finding the emf and internal resistance of a cell

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 17K views
dtwazere
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I hope someone can help me with my coursework by making sure my method is ok and is actually correct for my experiment. Note. I will not actually be doing this it is just a plan of what I could do!

1. I am provided with a cell of approcimate EMF 1.5V, an approximate internal resistance of 1Ω and an approximate energy capacity of 1.5Ah. I have to plan an experiement to find the EMF and internal resistance.



2. I know that i will be using the equation ε=Ir+IR and rearranging it to give V= -Ir +ε and linking it with the general equation for a linear graph y=mx+c. I know the y intercept will be the EMF and the gradient, -r, will be my internal resistance.



3. For my method i will be setting up my experiment like this:http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/774/experimentma5.th.jpg

I want to know if my method is correct. I will turn on the cell and adjust the rehostat until i find the lowest current recorded on my ammeter. I will then read off my voltage and make a table of both readings. I will then adjust the rheostat each time so I take 10 readings of voltage and current but i will not exceed 1.5 amps. Does this method seem ok? I am confused on whether it is correct or not.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Daniel

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org