Finding the final y-position of a projectile

In summary, the conversation discusses a disagreement between the professor and the student about finding the final y-coordinate of a projectile fired from the top of a hill. The student argues that the displacement of the particle should be "-y" not "y" and provides examples to support their viewpoint. The professor and a famous professor on YouTube both use the same "-y" displacement equation, while the book uses a "+y" displacement equation. The takeaway is that it is important to define variables consistently and avoid confusing notation. The book's approach is also incorrect in one of the problems discussed.
Qube
Gold Member
Summary:: After firing a projectile from the top of a hill, where does it land on the hill? I disagree with the professor in approach and final result.

Problem Statement:

1591229971741.png

Relevant Formulas:

1591230005819.png

Attempt to Solve:

I'm very familiar with these types of problems. I'm not here for help solving the entire problem. I just have a small point of contention with my professor about finding the final y-coordinate of the projectile.

I am confident that to find the final y-coordinate of the projectile, the correct equation should be:

1591230148584.png

My professor argues that the correct equation is instead:

1591230162979.png

We both agree on the equation for finding the x-coordinate of the projectile.

I disagree with the professor's equation for finding the final y-coordinate of the projectile. Displacement is final position - initial position, and the final y-coordinate is obviously "-y." The initial y-coordinate is obviously 0. The displacement of the particle, therefore, should be "-y" not "y."

Also, solving similar problems in the textbook with the professor's approach results in negative time values.*

Question:

Who's formula is correct in solving for vertical displacement?

----

*Example of me getting a negative time value with the professor's approach:

This is the book's solution; note the "-y."

1591233492660.png

This is what happens when you decide to solve it with the same equations, but with a "+y":
1591233473443.png

Finally, this guy seems to have no issue with assuming the sign of the "y" in another similar problem:

1591233587569.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show me the points of impact of your way and of your teachers' way, if you please.

Likes Qube and berkeman
Here's a much more condensed version of what I'm asking: who's correct, the book or the teacher's method?

The points of impact are are in x and y. Time is "t."

I am not sure but I tend to agree with your teacher. I don't understand why we get a negative value for time though, the resulting equation for t will be a quadratic and most likely will have a positive root as well.

My main argument is that since your book says that the point of impact is (x,-y) then this point should satisfy the equation of the parabola so we should get the equation ##-y=-0.04x^2## and not ##y=-0.04x^2## as your book says. It is obvious to me that book is wrong here.

Likes A.T.
Qube said:
The displacement of the particle, therefore, should be "-y" not "y."
y(t) is, by definition, the displacement at time t.
If you take displacements as up positive then the displacement when it lands will have a negative value. You are confusing the sign of the variable in the equation with the sign of its value in the answer.

Qube said:
the final y-coordinate is obviously "-y."
This seems to be the core of the confusion. As @haruspex notes, the y-coordinate is simply "y". The term "-y" is the negated y-coordinate. If the book asks for "-y", then you can of course give them that, but don't call it "y-coordinate".

A.T. said:
If the book asks for "-y", then you can of course give them that, but don't call it "y-coordinate".

Thanks, so what's the takeaway here for finding the final position of a particle that lands on a hill?

We have the book, which asks for "(x,-y)," and the book comes up with the "-y" displacement equation.

We have a famous professor on YouTube solving for "(x,y)" and he comes up with the same "-y" displacement equation.

And then we have my professor who wants me to solve it with the "+y" displacement equation.

Can someone help clarify what the takeaway should be?

Qube said:
We have a famous professor on YouTube solving for "(x,y)" and he comes up with the same "-y" displacement equation.
This fellow seems to have defined down as positive for the y displacement. I would guess this is because he also has y in a formula for a parabola which dips down from the x axis.
The formula "##-\frac 129.8t^2 ms^{-2}##" gives the displacement under gravity on the assumption that up is positive. Hence he needs to put in a minus sign somewhere. I would have written his equation as ##y=\frac 129.8t^2 ms^{-2}##, but he chose to put the extra minus on the left. Confusing.
Better still, I would have stuck with up as positive for y but written ##y=-\frac 129.8t^2 ms^{-2}## for the trajectory of the truck and ##y=-4\sqrt x## for the trough in the road.

The takeaway message is that you are free to define the positive direction for each of your variables as you wish, but you will confuse yourself less if you stick to common usage (up and right positive), and you should write down anything nonstandard.

Likes Qube, A.T. and Delta2
Qube said:
oU9a5EF.png

Delta2 said:
It is obvious to me that book is wrong here.
I agree. The book computes the intersection of the ground surface with the vertically mirrored trajectory, not with the actual trajectory.

That's the only reason why they get a solution with positive time given their numbers (left half of the image above). The correct answer is that there is no impact, because the ground surface bends down stronger than the trajectory.

In the other problem (right half of image above) both approaches give a solution. The wrong book approach gives a shorter time, because the vertically mirrored trajectory intersects the ground surface earlier than the actual trajectory.

Last edited:
Likes Qube and Delta2

1. How do you calculate the final y-position of a projectile?

The final y-position of a projectile can be calculated using the equation y = y0 + v0y * t + 0.5 * a * t^2, where y0 is the initial y-position, v0y is the initial vertical velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

2. What is the significance of the final y-position of a projectile?

The final y-position of a projectile is important because it tells us the vertical distance the projectile has traveled from its initial position. This information can be used to determine the trajectory and landing point of the projectile.

3. How does air resistance affect the final y-position of a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the final y-position of a projectile by slowing down its vertical velocity and reducing the distance it travels. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose energy and decrease in height.

4. Can the final y-position of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the final y-position of a projectile can be negative if it lands below its initial position. This can happen if the projectile is launched at an angle or if air resistance causes it to lose height during its flight.

5. How can the final y-position of a projectile be used to determine its maximum height?

The final y-position of a projectile can be used to determine its maximum height by finding the peak of the projectile's trajectory. This is when the vertical velocity is equal to 0, and the final y-position is the highest point the projectile reaches before falling back to the ground.