Finding the flux (Divergence Theorem)

In summary, the conversation is about using the divergence theorem to find the flux of a vector field out of the surface of a paraboloid. The conversation includes a discussion about integrating each slice over a changing radius and finding the maximum radius for a given z, as well as a question about the surface integral.
nb89

Homework Statement

By using divergence theorem find the flux of vector F out of the surface of the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2, z<=9, when F = (y^3)i + (x^3)j + (3z^2)k

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem equation stated in the attempt part

The Attempt at a Solution

2qa2ul3.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you are doing the z-integral first, so we are looking at a slice of fixed z. Then the slice looks like a disk of radius rmax. Instead of 0 to 3, you want to integrate each slice over r from 0 to rmax. You can express rmax in terms of z.
So you will get
[tex]\int_0^9 \int_0^{r_\mathrm{max}(z)} \int_0^{2\pi} 6 z r \, \mathrm{d}\varphi \, \mathrm{d}r \, \mathrm d{z}[/tex]
where rmax(z) depends on z instead of being identically equal to 3 as you have now.

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
Suppose you are doing the z-integral first, so we are looking at a slice of fixed z. Then the slice looks like a disk of radius rmax. Instead of 0 to 3, you want to integrate each slice over r from 0 to rmax. You can express rmax in terms of z.
So you will get
[tex]\int_0^9 \int_0^{r_\mathrm{max}(z)} \int_0^{2\pi} 6 z r \, \mathrm{d}\varphi \, \mathrm{d}r \, \mathrm d{z}[/tex]
where rmax(z) depends on z instead of being identically equal to 3 as you have now.
I understand what you mean about the radius changing with z, but how would i integrate dr with limits rmax(z)?
Also what about the Fn ds double integral?

For some given z, what is the maximum radius (i.e. the upper boundary of your r-integration)?

I haven't looked into the other approach (where you first apply the divergence theorem) but it does look a bit more complicated to me (finding the correct normal unit vector and all).

Just thought id bump this question. I understand my error when calculating the volume integral, the problem I'm left with is the surface integral. I still can't spot the mistake there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field at points inside the surface. It is a fundamental principle in vector calculus and has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used to find the flux?

The Divergence Theorem states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. In other words, the flux is calculated by finding the divergence of the vector field at each point inside the surface and adding them up over the entire region.

3. What is the significance of finding the flux?

Finding the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is important in many areas of science and engineering. It can be used to calculate quantities such as the amount of fluid flowing through a pipe, the amount of electric field passing through a closed surface, or the rate of heat transfer within a solid object.

4. What are the key steps in using the Divergence Theorem to find the flux?

The key steps in using the Divergence Theorem to find the flux are: 1) Identify the closed surface through which the flux is being calculated. 2) Determine the vector field that is passing through the surface. 3) Calculate the divergence of the vector field at each point inside the surface. 4) Integrate the divergence over the entire enclosed region to find the total flux.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem assumes that the vector field is continuously differentiable and that the surface is closed and has a smooth boundary. It also only applies to three-dimensional vector fields. Additionally, the Divergence Theorem does not take into account any external forces acting on the vector field.