1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the flux (Divergence Theorem)

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By using divergence theorem find the flux of vector F out of the surface of the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2, z<=9, when F = (y^3)i + (x^3)j + (3z^2)k

2. Relevant equations
    Divergence theorem equation stated in the attempt part

3. The attempt at a solution
    2qa2ul3.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose you are doing the z-integral first, so we are looking at a slice of fixed z. Then the slice looks like a disk of radius rmax. Instead of 0 to 3, you want to integrate each slice over r from 0 to rmax. You can express rmax in terms of z.
    So you will get
    [tex]\int_0^9 \int_0^{r_\mathrm{max}(z)} \int_0^{2\pi} 6 z r \, \mathrm{d}\varphi \, \mathrm{d}r \, \mathrm d{z}[/tex]
    where rmax(z) depends on z instead of being identically equal to 3 as you have now.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    I understand what you mean about the radius changing with z, but how would i integrate dr with limits rmax(z)?
    Also what about the Fn ds double integral?

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For some given z, what is the maximum radius (i.e. the upper boundary of your r-integration)?

I haven't looked into the other approach (where you first apply the divergence theorem) but it does look a bit more complicated to me (finding the correct normal unit vector and all).

6. May 2, 2009 #5
    Just thought id bump this question. I understand my error when calculating the volume integral, the problem I'm left with is the surface integral. I still cant spot the mistake there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook