1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the force in a simple harmonic lattice

1. Mar 22, 2015 #1

Fyj

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If there are a large number of ions oscillating in a straight line, we can pick the nth one oscillating about its equilibrium a*n. The potential of the entire lattice is then U = 0.5*K[u(an)-u([n+1]a)]^2 - summed over all n. How do I use Force = -dU/du(an) to derive that Force = -K[2u(an)-u([n-1]a)-u([n+1]a)? Where K is some constant.

2. Relevant equations
    The chain rule is f'(g(x))= df/dg * dg/dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the chain rule. Then if g = [u(an)-u([n+1]a)], then dU/dg = k*[u(an)-u([n+1]a)]. dg/du(an) can't be done analytically, however because we have a set of discrete points, dg = [(u(an) - (u[n-1]a) - (u[n+1]a)-u(an))].

I get dU/du(an) = K*[u(an)-u([n+1]a)]*[2u(an)-u([n-1]a)-u([n+1]a)]/du(an).
    I am guessing I could write that du = [u([n+1]a)-u(an)] to get
    dU/du(an) = -K*[2u(an)-u([n-1]a)]u([n+1]a)], but there's a minus sign that I can't get rid of.

Am I going about this all wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To make the formulae simpler, denote the displacement from equilibrium of the n-th particle (that one which equilibrium position is at na) by un.
    The potential energy of the whole lattice is ##U=0.5K \sum {(u_{n+1}-u_n)^2}##. Writing it out, un appears in two terms:

U = ...... K/2 [( un-un-1)2 + ( un+1-un)2 ].....

The force on the n-th particle is the negative gradient with respect to un, the displacement of the n-th particle. You get non-zero derivative from the terms above only.
    Your derivation was wrong. What is the derivative of (x-y)2 with respect to x? With respect to y?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted