Integration by Parts using Ln(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral \int_4^5 \frac{dx}{(3x)(ln(x))(ln^3(ln(x)))} \, using substitution and integration by parts. The suggested substitutions are u = ln(x) and u = (ln u)^3, but it is determined that u = ln(x) is sufficient. Integration by parts is used to simplify the integral and eventually obtain a solution. The conversation ends with a plan to substitute back and apply the limit from 4 to 5.
FallingMan

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_4^5 \frac{dx}{(3x)(ln(x))(ln^3(ln(x)))} \,[/tex]

Homework Equations

I'll probably need to use u-substitution as well as integration by parts for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_4^5 \frac{dx}{(3x)(ln(x))(ln^3(ln(x)))} \,[/tex]

1. Factor out 1/3 for convenience.

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\, \int_4^5 \frac{dx}{(x)(ln(x))(ln^3(ln(x)))} \,[/tex]

2. Let u = ln(x), du = 1/x * dx, thus dx = du * x

[tex]\frac{1}{3}\, \int_4^5 \frac{(x)(du)}{(x)(u)(ln^3(u))} \, = \frac{1}{3}\, \int_4^5 \frac{du}{(u)(ln^3(u))} \,[/tex]

From integration by parts we know that ∫g*dv = g*v - ∫dg*v

I'm stuck here with regards to what to assign as g and what to assign as dv.

I could make:
g = 1/u
dg = -1/u^2

dv = 1/ln^3(u) * du
v = ?

I'm not sure how to integrate dv to get to v to make the integration by parts work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a second substitution

Integration by parts is not helpful here

You wither want two use the substitution

u=(log log x)^3

or equivalently another substitution after yours

u=log x
w=(log u)^3

That second substitution complicates the problem, a simple w=lnu is enough

Thanks for your help, guys. I think I understand what you're saying.

Let g = ln(u), dg = 1/u * du, thus du = dg* u

Substituting back in I get:[tex]\frac{1}{3}\, \int_4^5 \frac{dg*u}{(u)(g^3)} \, = \frac{1}{3}\, \int_4^5 \frac{dg}{g^3} \, = -\frac{1}{2g^2}\,\frac{1}{3}\, [/tex]

and then I would substitute back to reobtain x and apply the limit from 4 to 5.

Thank you, guys. Much appreciated.

1. What is integration by parts using Ln(x)?

Integration by parts using Ln(x) is a method of integration in calculus that is used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves using the natural logarithm function, Ln(x), as one of the functions in the product.

2. When is integration by parts using Ln(x) used?

Integration by parts using Ln(x) is used when the integral of a product of two functions cannot be easily evaluated using other integration techniques, such as substitution or the power rule. It is also commonly used when the integral contains a logarithmic function, such as Ln(x).

3. How do you use integration by parts using Ln(x)?

To use integration by parts using Ln(x), you must first identify which function in the integral is the "u" function and which is the "dv" function. Then, you apply the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the antiderivatives of the "u" and "dv" functions, respectively. Finally, you solve for the integral using algebraic manipulation.

4. What are the benefits of using integration by parts using Ln(x)?

Integration by parts using Ln(x) allows for the integration of more complex functions that cannot be easily integrated using other techniques. It also provides a way to simplify integrals that contain logarithmic functions, making them easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration by parts using Ln(x)?

Integration by parts using Ln(x) can be a time-consuming and tedious process, especially when dealing with multiple integration by parts steps. It also does not work for all types of integrals, so it is important to first check if other integration techniques can be applied before using this method.