Finding the indefinite integral of sin^2(pi*x) cos^5(pi*x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
grafs50
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


∫(sin2(πx)*cos5(πx))dx.

Homework Equations


Just the above.

The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea how pi effects the answer, so I basically solved ∫(sin2(x)^cos5(x))dx.

∫(sin2(x)*cos4(x)*cos(x))dx
∫sin2(x)*(1-sin2(x))2*cos(x))dx
U-substitution
u = sin x du = -cos x dx

∫(u2*(1-u2)2) -du
-∫(u2*(1-u2)2) du
-∫(u2*(1-2u2+u4) du
-∫(u2-2u4+u6) du

-((u3/3)-(2u5/5)+(u7/7).

When I look up what the antiderivative should be on integral-calculator.com. the minus sign outside of the parentheses disappears, which I can't figure out how.

Can anyone give me some help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
grafs50 said:

Homework Statement


∫(sin2(πx)*cos5(πx))dx.

Homework Equations


Just the above.

The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea how pi effects the answer, so I basically solved ∫(sin2(x)^cos5(x))dx.

∫(sin2(x)*cos4(x)*cos(x))dx
∫sin2(x)*(1-sin2(x))2*cos(x))dx
U-substitution
u = sin x du = -cos x dx
Fix the sign error that RUber pointed out. Then do the original problem the same way but let ##u =\sin(\pi x)##.
[Edit:] Fixed typo.
 
Last edited: