1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Fourier Series of a periodic rectangular wave

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem/question is attached in the file called "homework". In the third signal (the peridic rectangular wave), I am requested (sub-question b) to find the fourier series of the wave.

2. Relevant equations
    The file called "solution" presents a detailed solution to the problem. What I don't understand is why the phase (page 2 in that "solution" document) [itex]\phi_{n}[/itex] equals [itex]-\pi[/itex] for even values of [itex]n[/itex]. What I know is that when the argument of the arctan function is undefined (since it's divided by 0), it means that the angle is [itex]\pi/2[/itex], because only then the tan would be undefind! So why [itex]\phi_{n} = -\pi[/itex] then? does someone have an idea?
    I do understand the [itex]\pm\pi[/itex] addition for the odd values of [itex]n[/itex] (i.e [itex]n=3,7,11,...[/itex]), but that [itex]\phi_{n} = -\pi[/itex] is not completely clear to me (and quite annoying to be honest...:uhh:).

3. The attempt at a solution
    Couple of hours of thinking, going back to the basics of polar representation of numbers in the x-y plane (in fact, it's the [itex] a_{n}-b_{n}[/itex] plane here) but nothing practical really... any suggestions?
    Thanks! :tongue:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Something wrong here somewhere.

If tan-1(bn/an) = -π for all even n then bn = 0 for all even n. But b2 = 2Vm/πn sin^2(nπ/4) = Vm/π ≠ 0.

So there is something wrong with the submitted solution.

4. Sep 21, 2013 #3
    Thanks for responding rude man.
    So would you then consider [itex]n=\pi/2[/itex] as a solution for [itex]\phi_{n}[/itex] for all even n? or maybe you suggest a different solution?
    The way I see it, for all even n you have [itex]a_{n}=0[/itex] and [itex]b_{n}[/itex] has a value which gets lower as n grows, but also [itex]b_{n}=0[/itex] for [itex]n=0,4,8,...[/itex].

How would you fix the submitted solution?

5. Sep 21, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess I would just start over:

V(t) = a0/2 + Ʃ{ancos(nωt) + bnsin(nωt)} from n = 1 to ∞.

Your an coefficients are

an = (Vm/π)∫cos(ωt)d(ωt) from 0 to π/2
    bn = (Vm /π)∫sin(ωt)d(ωt) from 0 to π/2

Notice that d(ωt) = ωdt. It's easier to integrate w/r/t ωt rather than t. So the limits of integration change from 0 → T/4 to 0 → π/2.

To express this series in the form V(t) = a0/2 + Ʃcncos(nωt - ψ) from n = 1 to ∞,

cn = √(an2 + bn2)
    and ψn = tan-1(bn/an).

This is all standard textbook stuff.

In computing ψ be sure to retain the signs of a and b separately. For example, if a = 1 and b = -2, tan-1(1/-2) ~ π - 0.46 whereas if a = -1 and b = 2, tan-1(-1/2) ~ -0.46. These angles are different and are separated by π.

Happy computing!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted