Finding the Frequency of 5 in $S$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
I hope you'll enjoy reading the solutions of others and I hope you'll continue to post new problems!Best regards, Luis.In summary, the conversation discusses a series of arithmetic type, where the number of occurrences of the digit 5 in the series is calculated. The solution involves using equations (1), (2), and (3), and ultimately finding that for m=2013, there are 4022 occurrences of the digit 5. The conversation also expresses appreciation for the elegant solution provided and encourages the posting of more challenging problems.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $S=1+10+19+28+\cdots+10^{2013}$. How often does the digit 5 occur in $S$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let $S=1+10+19+28+\cdots+10^{2013}$. How often does the digit 5 occur in $S$.

[sp]It is a series of arithmetic type ...

$\displaystyle S_{n} = \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_{k},\ a_{k} = a_{1} + d\ (k-1)\ (1)$

... where $d=9$, $a_{1}=1$ and...

$\displaystyle n= \frac{10^{m} - 1}{9} + 1\ (2)$

It is well known that...

$\displaystyle S_{n} = \frac{n}{2} (a_{1} + a_{n})\ (3)$

... and because $\frac{n}{2}$ is a number composed by m-2 digits 'five'and 1 digit 'sex' the numer of digit 'five' in $S_{n}$ is 2 (m-2). For m=2013 the number of digit 'five' is 2 (2013 - 2) = 4022...[/sp]

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
[sp]It is a series of arithmetic type ...

$\displaystyle S_{n} = \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_{k},\ a_{k} = a_{1} + d\ (k-1)\ (1)$

... where $d=9$, $a_{1}=1$ and...

$\displaystyle n= \frac{10^{m} - 1}{9} + 1\ (2)$

It is well known that...

$\displaystyle S_{n} = \frac{n}{2} (a_{1} + a_{n})\ (3)$

... and because $\frac{n}{2}$ is a number composed by m-2 digits 'five'and 1 digit 'sex' the numer of digit 'five' in $S_{n}$ is 2 (m-2). For m=2013 the number of digit 'five' is 2 (2013 - 2) = 4022...[/sp]

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Hi chisigma,:)

This is one very easy to follow and nevertheless VERY elegant solution to a pretty hard challenge! How many thumbs up can I give to this solution?!?(Yes)(Yes) :cool:

Your reply kind of reassuring me to keep posting many more challenge problems here because it seems to me our members will just continue to surprise us by their wonderful and insightful solution!

Thanks chisigma for this solution! And thanks for participating!

Related to Finding the Frequency of 5 in $S$

1. What is the definition of "frequency"?

The frequency of a specific element in a data set refers to the number of times that element appears in the data set.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of an element in a data set?

To calculate the frequency of an element in a data set, divide the number of times that element appears in the data set by the total number of elements in the data set.

3. What is the significance of finding the frequency of an element in a data set?

Finding the frequency of an element in a data set can provide valuable information about the distribution of that element within the data set. It can also help identify any outliers or patterns within the data.

4. Can the frequency of an element change over time?

Yes, the frequency of an element in a data set can change over time if the data set is updated or if new data is added to the set.

5. Is the frequency of an element in a data set always a whole number?

No, the frequency of an element in a data set can be a decimal or fraction if the total number of elements in the data set is not evenly divisible by the number of times that element appears in the set.