Finding the Image of a function

In summary, Range and image are often used interchangeably in mathematics. To find the image of a function, one can solve equations and determine if there exists an x that satisfies the function. In the examples given, the image of the first function is all real numbers except 0, and the image of the second function is all nonnegative real numbers. To find the image of a function like F(x)=(2(x-2)^2)/(x^2+x-6), one can find the inverse of the function and determine where the equation is not defined. Notations such as Im(F)=\mathbb{R}\setminus\{2\}, ]-\infty,2[\cup ]2,+\infty[, or
Iclaudius
Hi all,

is there a way that one goes about solving for the image of a function in a purely analytical sense without having to use any sort of graphing calculator? btw I'm abit confused about the concept of image - it seems it is not the range which is what i thought it was :S? can someone please explain this to me or give me a link to a website resource perhaps?

I have been looking online and have not been able to find any good resources on image of a function - just a lot of things on range/domain.

Thanks in advance,
Claudius

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Range and image are (often) used interchangeably. So any resources that you find on range, will probably be suitable for finding the image too.

The quick way to find the image of a function is by solving equations: Say you have a function f, then y is in the image of f if there is an x such that y=f(x). So all you need to do is decide whether there exists such an x or not.

Let's give two simple examples:
Let f(x)=1/x. Take an arbitrary y. If there exists an x such that y=f(x), then y=1/x. This must necessarily mean that x=1/y. But the last expression only makes sense if y is not zero. So, if y is not zero, then f(1/y)=y. Thus the image of f is everything but 0. A quick look at the graph will tell you thesame thing.

Another example. Let f(x)=x2. Take an arbitrary y. If there exists an x such that y=f(x), then y=x2. This means that [tex]x=\sqrt{x}[/tex]. But this last expression only makes sense if x is nonnegative. Thus the image of f are all the nonnegative real numbers. Again, a look at the graph will confirm this.

Thanks for the reply that cleared things up

Last edited:
Iclaudius said:
Hey micro thanks again for the reply,

another quick question to check my comprehension - say we have a function,

F(x)= 2(x-2)^(2) / x^(2)+x-6

to find the image - all we need to do is find the inverse of the function.

then we plug in y for x, f(y)=y and see where the equation falls apart? so in this case i got y cannot equal 2, so was just wandering what notation do we use to express this?

thanks in advance,
Claudius

Yes, that is basically correct. But I have to be pedantic here: you cannot say that you calculate the inverse of the function, because the function has no inverse (indeed the inverse is not defined at 2). I know this is silly, and what you mean is correct, but I just wanted to make things clear!

And about the notation, there are some notations that you can use to represent your result. I, personally, would use [tex]Im(F)=\mathbb{R}\setminus\{2\}[/tex]. But you will often see the notation [tex]]-\infty,2[\cup ]2,+\infty[[/tex], or even [tex](-\infty,2)\cup (2,+\infty)[/tex]. All three notations are correct, but maybe your teacher will want you to use a specific one, I don't know...

1. What is the definition of an image in mathematics?

An image in mathematics refers to the set of all possible outputs or values that a function can produce, given a specific set of inputs or domain.

2. How do you find the image of a function?

To find the image of a function, you need to plug in all possible values from the domain into the function and determine the corresponding outputs. The set of all these outputs is the image of the function.

3. Can a function have an empty image?

Yes, a function can have an empty or null image. This means that there are no possible values or outputs for the given inputs or domain.

4. What is the relationship between the domain and image of a function?

The domain and image of a function are interrelated. The domain determines the possible inputs for a function, while the image represents the possible outputs or values that the function can produce for those inputs.

5. How is the image of a function different from the range?

The image of a function is the set of all possible outputs, while the range is the set of actual outputs that the function produces for the given inputs. The range is a subset of the image, as the function may not produce all possible outputs for the given inputs.