Finding the initial velocity of a thrown object caught at a certain height

In summary, a car traveling at 35.1 m/s comes to a stop when the driver applies the brakes at an acceleration of -2 m/s/s. The distance it takes to stop the vehicle can be solved using the formula vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad. Another word problem involving a man throwing a rocket and catching it at a higher point is also discussed, with a final answer of 12.42 m/s for the speed of the rocket when it was caught. The formula used to solve this problem is not mentioned, but the conversation ends with a request for help on another problem.
Jake M
A car is traveling along a road at 35.1 meters/second(m/s). All of a sudden the navigator yells "Stop! The driver quickly applies the brakes at an acceleration of -2m/s/s (meters per second squared) and comes to a stop.

How much distance it take to stop the vehicle?

My question is what equations to use in solving this problem.
Thanks for any hep in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Givens:
Vi=35.1 m/s
Vf=0 m/s
a= -2 m/s/s
d= ?

THis is the formula you can use to solve for distance (d):
vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

Hi there PM,
thanks for the info. It's been about 20years since I've had a physics problem to solve. This isn't home work or anything but rather practice for an up coming Rocketry event. Can you show me how to solve for this? The symbols have me abit confused. Also another word problem that came up was the following:
A man is standing at a launch site. The rocket doesn't liftoff. Frustrated s/he throws it straight up with a speed of 12.42 m/s. It is caught on the way down at a point 5.0 meters above where it was thrown, by a fellow rocketeer on the second floor, who doesn't want to see any harm come ot this wonderful rocket. The first man wants to figure out how fast the rocket was going when it was caught.
Again thanks for all your help, really rusty with this right now.

Sorry PM, For the first equation my answer was 308.00250000000005
Am I on the right track?
many thanks again,
Jake.

yes that looks correct to me.

A man is standing at a launch site. The rocket doesn't liftoff. Frustrated s/he throws it straight up with a speed of 12.42 m/s. It is caught on the way down at a point 5.0 meters above where it was thrown, by a fellow rocketeer on the second floor, who doesn't want to see any harm come ot this wonderful rocket. The first man wants to figure out how fast the rocket was going when it was caught.
Again thanks for all your help, really rusty with this right now.

Any help on this one?

Related to Finding the initial velocity of a thrown object caught at a certain height

What is a physics word problem?

A physics word problem is a mathematical question that involves a real-life scenario or situation that can be solved using principles and concepts from physics.

How do I approach solving a physics word problem?

The best approach is to first understand the problem by identifying the given information and what is being asked. Then, use relevant equations and formulas to solve for the unknown variables.

Can I solve a physics word problem without understanding the underlying concepts?

It is not recommended to solve a physics word problem without understanding the concepts involved. Without a solid understanding, it can be difficult to identify the appropriate equations and interpret the results.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics word problems?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect units, rounding errors, and forgetting to account for all relevant forces or variables. It is important to double check calculations and be mindful of significant figures.

How can I improve my skills in solving physics word problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving physics word problems. Start with simple problems and gradually increase the difficulty. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher.