1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the intial velocity using vectors

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a fire hose sprays water with an initial velocity of 40ft/s at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal. Find the minimum initial velocity to hit a point on a building 15 feet to the right and 16 feet up.

3. The attempt at a solution
    these are my equations but i feel like im missing something b/c im not sure how i would solve for velocity
    r(t)=(z*cos60)T i + (z*sin(60))-16t^2) j
    r'(t)=z*cos60) i + (z*sin(60)-32T) j
    r''(t)=-32j

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equations look OK, with z as the unknown velocity. Use the x equation to figure out when it will have traveled the 15 feet to the wall. Plug that time into the y equation and see what z must be to make y = 16. And put the exact values of cos(60) and sin(60) in those equations.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    thats a lot easier said than done, are you sure thats the way to do it? b/c that math is just ugly and terrible

5. Oct 9, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I'm sure. You wind up with a quadratic equation in the unknown z. A few square root signs in the answer never hurt anybody.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook