Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the intial velocity using vectors

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a fire hose sprays water with an initial velocity of 40ft/s at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal. Find the minimum initial velocity to hit a point on a building 15 feet to the right and 16 feet up.

3. The attempt at a solution
    these are my equations but i feel like im missing something b/c im not sure how i would solve for velocity
    r(t)=(z*cos60)T i + (z*sin(60))-16t^2) j
    r'(t)=z*cos60) i + (z*sin(60)-32T) j
    r''(t)=-32j

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equations look OK, with z as the unknown velocity. Use the x equation to figure out when it will have traveled the 15 feet to the wall. Plug that time into the y equation and see what z must be to make y = 16. And put the exact values of cos(60) and sin(60) in those equations.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    thats a lot easier said than done, are you sure thats the way to do it? b/c that math is just ugly and terrible

5. Oct 9, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I'm sure. You wind up with a quadratic equation in the unknown z. A few square root signs in the answer never hurt anybody.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook