Projectile motion after a flying helical path

In summary, the conversation discusses a bird flying along a helical path and dying at t=10 seconds. It is asked where the bird hits the xy-plane, with the given acceleration due to gravity of 32 ft/s/s. By taking the derivative of the position function, the velocity function is found and used to calculate the bird's position at t=10 seconds. A decimal point error in the calculation leads to incorrect values for the x and y coordinates. The approach is deemed correct, but the execution is considered sloppy.
qq545282501

Homework Statement

A bird flew along a helical path [tex]r(t)=<5cost,5sint,2t>[/tex], at time t=10 second, the bird died instantly. where did it hit the xy-plane ? g=32 ft/s/s.

Homework Equations

[tex]r(t)=(v_0 \cos\theta t) i+(v_0 \sin\theta t - 0.5gt^2 + h_0) j[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

taking derivative of r(t), I got the velocity function respect to t, [tex]v(t)=<-5sint,5cost,2>[/tex]
at t=10 s, we are located at (-4.2, -2.7, 20)
so that means the velocity in the x-direction at time =10 seconds is 2.72 ft/s
and the velocity in the y-direction at t=10 s = -4.2 ft/s
to hit the ground means that the distance in Z direction is 0, setting [tex]0=z(10)+v_z(10) t - 16t^2[/tex]
velocity in z direction is constant= 2
we can find the time the bird hit the ground, which = 1.18 second.
now, plug t and velocity in the x-direction into [tex]X_f=x(10)+v_x(10) t [/tex], we can find x-axis distance=-9.9 ft
[tex]Y_f=y(10)+v_y(10) t [/tex] similarly, we can find y - coordinate= -76.56 ft ( this value seems way off)

i am confused, does angle of projection matters in this case? if does, how do we find the angle of projection?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##
X_f=x(10)+v_x(10) t
= -4.2 + 2.7 * 1.18 ## can never be -9.9 ft !
For y you simply have a decimal point error, I'd guess: ##\ -2.7 - 1.18 * 4.2 = -7.7##

Always estimate the answer when using a calculator or a spreadsheet.

And I wouldn't round off before I had the answer.

Likes qq545282501
BvU said:
##
X_f=x(10)+v_x(10) t
= -4.2 + 2.7 * 1.18 ## can never be -9.9 ft !
For y you simply have a decimal point error, I'd guess: ##\ -2.7 - 1.18 * 4.2 = -7.7##

Always estimate the answer when using a calculator or a spreadsheet.

And I wouldn't round off before I had the answer.
so my approach was correct? thank you

qq545282501 said:
so my approach was correct? thank you
Approach was correct, execution a bit sloppy. And: You're welcome.

1. What is projectile motion after a flying helical path?

Projectile motion after a flying helical path refers to the movement of an object that follows a curved path while also experiencing the effects of both gravity and air resistance. This type of motion is commonly seen in sports such as baseball and tennis, where the ball follows a curved path after being thrown or hit.

2. What factors affect projectile motion after a flying helical path?

The factors that affect projectile motion after a flying helical path include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is thrown or hit, the force of gravity, and the presence of air resistance. These factors can influence the shape and distance of the object's path.

3. How does air resistance impact projectile motion after a flying helical path?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact projectile motion after a flying helical path. It is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down as it moves through the air. This can alter the shape and distance of the object's path compared to a scenario without air resistance.

4. Can an object experience a flying helical path without gravity?

No, an object cannot experience a flying helical path without the force of gravity. Gravity is what causes the object to follow a curved path, as it pulls the object towards the ground as it moves forward. Without gravity, the object would continue moving in a straight line.

5. How is the range of projectile motion after a flying helical path calculated?

The range of projectile motion after a flying helical path can be calculated using the projectile motion equations. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity to determine the horizontal distance traveled by the object. Air resistance may also need to be considered in the calculation depending on the specific scenario.