Finding the inverse matrix responsible for base change in the Z3 Group

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the matrix and its inverse to represent a base change between two subgroups of S3 and Z3. The matrix is found to be incorrect and a correction is proposed. The determinant and "transpose of the matrix of cofactors" are calculated and used to find the inverse of the matrix. The conversation ends with a question about a discrepancy in the calculation.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys,
So I have the following permutations, which are a subgroup of S3:
[itex]σ_{1}=(1)(2)(3), σ_{5}=(1,2,3), σ_{6}=(1,3,2)[/itex]
This is isomorphic to Z3, which can be written as [itex]{1,ω,ω^{2}}[/itex]

Next, we have the basis for the subgroup of S3:
[itex]e_{i}=e_{1},e_{2},e_{3}[/itex]

And we also have the basis for the group Z3, which is a linear combination of the basis vectors of S3:
[itex]E_{k}=(e_{1}+e_{2}+e_{3}), (e_{1}+ωe_{2}+ω^{2}e_{3}), (e_{1}
+ω^{2}e_{2}+ωe_{3})[/itex]

I have to find the matrix (and its inverse) which is responsible for the following base change:
[itex]E_{k}=S_{jk}e_{j}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Dont think there are any.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think I've found the matrix [itex]S[/itex], the problem is that how do I find [itex]S^{-1}[/itex]. I get the following for [itex]S[/itex], even though I'm not sure its right:
http://imageshack.com/a/img401/9545/h213.jpg

I tried using the regular matrix rules for finding the inverse (transpose of the matrix of cofactors divided by the determinant) but it doesn't seem to work.

Can you guys help me out?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You realize that, by definition of [itex]\omega[/itex], [itex]\omega^3=1[/itex], right? The determinant of the matrix is [itex]3\omega(\omega- 1)[/itex] and the "transpose of the matrix of cofactors" is
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}\omega(\omega- 1) & \omega(\omega- 1) & \omega(\omega- 1) \\ \omega(\omega- 1) & \omega- 1 & (\omega- 1)(\omega+ 1) \\ \omega(\omega- 1) & (\omega- 1)(\omega+ 1) & \omega- 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

For example, calculating the "1,1" cofactor, we compute
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}\omega & \omega^2 \\ \omega^2 & \omega \end{array}\right|= \omega^2- \omega^4= \omega^2- (\omega^3)\omega= \omega^2- \omega= \omega(\omega- 1)[/tex]

Hi HallsofIvy,
I get all elements of the matrix the same as you, apart from the ones [2,3] and [3,2] - [rows,columns]. You have [itex]ω^{2}-1[/itex] from which you take the difference of two squares. However, isn't the place value of that element in the matrix negative? which means that you should have [itex]-(ω^{2}-1)=(1+ω)(1-ω)[/itex]? if that's correct then I'm stuck again because it doesn't factor into the determinant anymore!

What is the Z3 Group?

The Z3 Group is a mathematical structure consisting of the set of integers modulo 3, denoted as Z3. It is a finite group with three elements: 0, 1, and 2. Addition and multiplication are defined as usual in modular arithmetic, where the result is always reduced to the range of 0 to 2.

What is a base change in the Z3 Group?

A base change in the Z3 Group is a transformation that maps the elements of the group to new elements using a different set of generators. It is used to represent the same group in a different way, often for convenience or to simplify calculations.

What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied with another matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, it "undoes" the effects of the original matrix. In the context of the Z3 Group, the inverse matrix is used to transform back to the original base after a base change has been made.

Why is finding the inverse matrix important in the Z3 Group?

In the Z3 Group, finding the inverse matrix is important because it allows for easy transformation between different bases. This is especially useful in calculations involving the group, as it simplifies the process and reduces the likelihood of errors.

How do you find the inverse matrix responsible for base change in the Z3 Group?

To find the inverse matrix responsible for base change in the Z3 Group, the matrix representing the original base and the matrix representing the new base are multiplied together. The resulting matrix is then reduced using modular arithmetic to obtain the inverse matrix. This inverse matrix can then be used to transform back to the original base.