1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Laurent series and residue of a function

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Laurent series for the given function about the specified point. Also, give the residue of the function at the point.

$$ \frac{z^2}{z^2 - 1}, z_0 = 1 $$

2. Relevant equations
    A Laurent expansion is comparable to a power series, except that it includes negative powers as well:
    $$ \sum_{n = - \infty}^\infty a_k (z - z_0)^n $$
    Where ##a_k## are the coefficients of the expansion.

The residue of f at ##z_0## is the coefficient of ##(z-z_0)^{-1}## in the Laurent expansion.

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to find the residue with moderate success by simply expanding the fraction:
    $$ \frac{z^2}{z^2 - 1} = \frac{z^2 - 1 + 1}{z^2 -1} = \frac{(z+1)(z-1) + 1}{(z+1)(z-1)}$$

Afterwards I simplified this fraction by splitting it and then using partial fraction decomposition to give me:
    $$ -\frac{1}{2(z+1)} + \frac{1}{2(z-1)} + 1 $$
    Since we are finding the residue at ##z_0 = 1## of this function, then we look at the term that has ##(z - 1)## in its denominator, which would be ##\frac{1}{2}##.

The next part would be to find the Laurent expansion of this equation, to which neither I nor my classmates had much luck. One example in the textbook suggested that I expand the numerator in powers of (z-1), which would also be something I don't understand how to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to expand in powers of (z-1) write u=(z-1). Then z=u+1. Substitute that into the function so you can write it totally in terms of u. Then try and expand around u=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted