Finding the length of wire needed

In summary, the problem is to determine the optimal placement of a junction box for a power company to run wires to two isolated farms that are 12km apart on a straight road parallel to a highway 20km away. Using the symmetry of the problem, we can simplify the possible positions and create two triangles with sides of 6km and a variable hypotenuse. By calculating the total length of wire needed using the distance from the junction box to the road and the hypotenuse, we can solve for the optimal placement of the junction box. This results in a total length of 33.3km needed for the wire. Additionally, considering the shortest distance between the two farms is a straight line, the answer would be easier to
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

Two isolated farms are 12km apart on a straight country road that runs parallel to the main highway 20km away. The power company decides to run a wire from the highway to the junction box, and from there, wired of equal length to two houses. Where should the junction box be placed to minimize the length of wire needed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Where should I start with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
try and write an equation for the length of wire neded in terms of the juntion box position, then minimise

drawing a picture will help

also use the symmetry of the problem to simplfy the possible positions

I got nothing.

The shortest distance between two "farms" is a straight line. If the two farms were on opposite sides of the road, so that the straight line crosses it, this would be easy. What would the answer be then?

Now use the "symmetry" that lanedance mentioned.

I don't understand what you mean by using "symmetry" I also don't understand what your asking here.

The two farms are 12km apart. Ill try and trace out a diagram here.

FARM A

---------------------------------junct.----------highway

FARM B

So I tried to create 2 triangles between the farms and the junction, with one side of the triangle being 6km (since the question asks for equal length of wire.)

looking good, now try & write an equation for the total length of wire in terms of the junction box position

you could do it a few ways, but using of the distance junction box to the road (ie the other side of the two triangles) as your variable might be a good place to start

Im still lost as to where to start. What I am attempting right now is that I have 1 triangle and a straight length of wire.

I have the hypot. of the triangle = y, the base = x and the other side = 6. Hope that makes sense. I also have the length of wire = 20-x. If I can solve for one of these I can figure out the rest.

DO you recommend starting with the 20-x function? If so how?

the wire if i understand right, will be the length from highway to junction box, call it HJ, then 2 times the hypotenuse, JF

so length L(x)= HJ(x) + 2*JF(x)

you've already told me
HJ(x) = 20-x

what is JF(x)?

I don't know how we can figure that out. JF(x) = L - (20-x), I don't know where you can from there without knowing more of the variables.

I did some calculations and figured out x = 10, which then translated into a total length of wire of 33.3 km.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
you need to show your calcs then

i'm not going to do the problem then check your answer, but i will confirm whether yoru thinking sounds right

Its diffcult without being able to show a diagram. Essentially I created 2 triangles, One triangle with the sides of 6 and t with a hypotenuse of x, and the other triangle with sides of 6, 20-t, and y. I created equations for x and y to single out the variable t. So then I did D = x + y then differentiated. From there I singled out t which you can find out 20-t and also x. 2 times x plus 20-t gives the answer.

Have you given any thought to what I said before?

The shortest distance between two "farms" is a straight line. If the two farms were on opposite sides of the road, so that the straight line crosses it, this would be easy. What would the answer be then?

I don't get what that means. I would need a diagram to understand what that means.

1. How do you calculate the length of wire needed for a project?

To calculate the length of wire needed for a project, you will need to know the distance between the two points where the wire will be connected, the type of wire being used, and the current rating of the wire. Using the formula: length = (distance x 2) + (distance x 0.1), you can find the minimum length of wire needed for your project.

2. Can you estimate the amount of wire needed without exact measurements?

Yes, you can estimate the amount of wire needed by using a measuring tape or ruler to get a rough idea of the distance between the two points where the wire will be connected. However, for a more accurate calculation, it is best to have exact measurements.

3. How do you determine the current rating of a wire?

The current rating of a wire can be determined by referring to a wire gauge chart, which shows the current carrying capacity of different wire sizes. The current rating also depends on the type of wire and the material it is made of.

4. How do you account for wire wastage when calculating the length needed?

To account for wire wastage, you can add an extra 10% to the calculated length. This will ensure that you have enough wire to work with and can account for any mistakes or mishaps during the project.

5. Is there a standard formula for finding the length of wire needed?

Yes, there is a standard formula for finding the length of wire needed, which is: length = (distance x 2) + (distance x 0.1). However, the actual length needed may vary depending on the specific project and any additional factors, such as wire wastage or safety margins.