1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the magnitude of force P

1. Nov 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    w6PbUIg.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    QmFs5wz.jpg

My value for P does not make any sense. Why is this so?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2016 #2
    I think you may have forgotten one of the vertical forces.

4. Nov 24, 2016 #3
    Yeah, I'm almost certain that's the issue. I think it's the normal force, but what is the value of that force in this case?

5. Nov 24, 2016 #4
    Yes, you forgot the normal force when you summed the vertical forces. But I don't know what the value of that force is. You will just have to use a variable, FN, until you solve the equations and find its value.

6. Nov 24, 2016 #5
    Oh right, my bad. So for vertical forces my equation ends up being Psin10 - 70cos45 + Fn = 0. From the horizontal forces equation I calculated P to be 57.369...

Then, Fn = 39.535...

To sum it up, P = 57.4 and Fn = 39.54. These values satisfy both equations, though do you have any idea what reaction force they are referring to?

7. Nov 24, 2016 #6
    That looks right. I'm not sure but "reaction force", probably means the normal force.

8. Nov 24, 2016 #7
    Alright that's what I was thinking as well, no idea what else it could be. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted