Finding the mass of an object with max stress

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionStress*A/g=w/gSo, if the weight of the insect is doubled, the thread will break under twice the stress.
walnuts

Homework Statement

A spider is caught in the midpoint of a spider thread. The thread breaks under a stress of 8.2E8 N/m^2 and a strain of 2.00. Initially, it was horizontal and had a length of 2.00 cm and a cross-sectional area of 8.E-12 m^2. As the thread was stretched under the weight of the insect, its volume remained constant. If the weight of the insect puts the thread on the verge of breaking, what is the insect’s mass?

Homework Equations

stress=F/A
A=cross sectional area

The Attempt at a Solution

Stress*A/g=w

I know I'm missing a key point here because I do not take in account the length of the wire, but how does the length of wire affect this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi walnuts! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
walnuts said:
A spider is caught in the midpoint of a spider thread. The thread breaks under a stress of 8.2E8 N/m^2 and a strain of 2.00. Initially, it was horizontal and had a length of 2.00 cm and a cross-sectional area of 8.E-12 m^2. As the thread was stretched under the weight of the insect, its volume remained constant. If the weight of the insect puts the thread on the verge of breaking, what is the insect’s mass?

I know I'm missing a key point here because I do not take in account the length of the wire, but how does the length of wire affect this problem?

The (wire?) thread is horizontal, so the length of the thread will affect how far down the weight of the spider moves it. :wink:

I turned it in earlier, here's what I did. I'm known for just making stuff up, so correct me if I'm wrong.

stress/strain=(F/A)/(delta L/ L)
delta L/L=2 and since the volume didn't change A=.5A so,

2*stress/(strain*.5)=mg

4*stress/(strain*g)=m

1. What is the definition of mass in terms of physics?

Mass is a fundamental property of matter that measures the amount of matter in an object. It is a measure of the inertia of an object, or its resistance to changes in motion. In simpler terms, mass is the amount of stuff an object is made of.

2. How is mass related to stress in an object?

Mass and stress are indirectly related to each other. The mass of an object affects its stress level because it determines the object's weight and the force it exerts on other objects. In other words, the more mass an object has, the more stress it can cause on other objects.

3. What is the formula for finding the mass of an object with max stress?

The formula for finding the mass of an object with max stress is M = F/A, where M is the mass, F is the force applied on the object, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This formula is known as the stress-strain relationship and is commonly used in engineering and physics.

4. How can I measure the mass of an object with max stress?

The mass of an object with max stress can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a balance or a scale. In some cases, the mass can also be calculated using the object's dimensions and density. It is important to use appropriate units, such as kilograms or pounds, when measuring or calculating mass.

5. Why is it important to determine the mass of an object with max stress?

Determining the mass of an object with max stress is important for various reasons. It allows us to understand the object's behavior and how it will react under different forces. It is also crucial for safety purposes, as knowing the mass and stress level of objects can help prevent accidents and structural failures. Additionally, mass is a key parameter used in many scientific and engineering calculations, making it an essential concept to understand and measure accurately.