1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding mass with given stress, strain, and original area

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

figure whatever represents an insect caught at the midpoint of a spider-web thread. The thread breaks under a stress of 8.2 x 10^8 N/m^2 and a strain of 2. Initially, it was horizontal and had a length of 2cm and a cross-sectional area of 8 x 10^-12 m^2. As the thread was stretched under the weight of the insect, its volume remained constant. If the weight of the insect puts the thread on the verge of breaking, what is the insect's weight?

2. Relevant equations
    I would imagine the different variations of stress and strain

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the answer will be small (as the insect is supposed to be a bumble bee assuming the picture in the book isn't lying to me.

I don't know where to begin exactly.

I did stress = F/A to get F = .00656N, which means the bumble bee would have to apply just under that amount of force, as that is what the web will break at. But I'm unsure on what to do next.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Draw a diagram. Suppose A and B are points where the thread is attached. The midpoint C is now vertically displaced to D. At the point D, the forces acting are the tensions T in the thread, and the weight W.

Write down the eqn for the equilibrium of the vertical forces.
    Find the relation between BD and BC, from geometry.
    The common thing between these eqns is the angle CBD.

That should be enough to get you started. If you show some work based on this, perhaps we could help you more, if you need it. You can do this.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?