Finding the max speed of an object between two point

In summary, the object accelerates from point A to a certain velocity and then decelerates to point B. The distance from point A to point B is known. It is possible to calculate the maximum velocity between the two points using the formulas provided.
Mark Hogan
Hello everybody,

I am trying to calculate the maximum velocity(x) an object reaches between two point. The object accelerates from point A to a certain velocity(x) and then decelerates to point B. The acceleration and deceleration are known but are different. The distance from point A to point B is known. Is there a formula I can use to calculate the maximum velocity between the two points?

I have attempted to solve this by graphing the distance and time of the object and I have attempted rearranging formulas to do this but with no luck.

Your help would be greatly appreciated,
Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need some additional information before being able to solve this. As written, it is possible that the object accelerates from A almost all the way to B and then decelerates for only an instant before zipping past point B. Or that the object starts from A with non-zero velocity, accelerates momentarily and then decelerates all the way to a stop at point B.

Is it also true that the object starts at rest at point A and ends at rest at point B?

Likes Mark Hogan
Ok so it...

Starts from rest and accelerates at "a" to velocity "v" over distance s1
Then it decelerates at "d" from "v" to rest over distance s2

General form of suvat equation...

v2 = u2 + 2as

where

v is the final velocity
u = initial velocity
a = acceleration or deceleration
s = displacement

In this problem we can write the equation twice, once for the bit while accelerating and one decelerating..

Accelerating..
v2 = 2as1

Decelerating..
0 = v2 + 2(-d)s2

We also know that

s1 + s2 = Total distance

I believe these can be solved to find "v".

Likes Mark Hogan
CWatters said:
Ok so it...

Starts from rest and accelerates at "a" to velocity "v" over distance s1
Then it decelerates at "d" from "v" to rest over distance s2

General form of suvat equation...

v2 = u2 + 2as

where

v is the final velocity
u = initial velocity
a = acceleration or deceleration
s = displacement

In this problem we can write the equation twice, once for the bit while accelerating and one decelerating..

Accelerating..
v2 = 2as1

Decelerating..
0 = v2 + 2(-d)s2

We also know that

s1 + s2 = Total distance

I believe these can be solved to find "v".

Hello jbriggs444 and CWatters,

Thank you for your help. I may not have explained my problem well.

Mark Hogan said:
have
I will explain it using an example:
So an object starts from rest. It accelerates at 2000mm/s2 then decelerates at 3000mm/s2 to rest. The distance from start to finish let's say 200mm. But is it possible to calculate the max velocity reached while traveling between the points?

yes, it is possible to find the max velocity using just this information. But it does take a few steps. I recommend drawing out a graph of space against time, (and possibly the derivates too ). And try to split the problem into two - the acceleration section and the deceleration section. You can use the time of the change from accel. to decel. as a variable to solve for.

Likes Mark Hogan
Mark Hogan said:
I will explain it using an example:
So an object starts from rest. It accelerates at 2000mm/s2 then decelerates at 3000mm/s2 to rest. The distance from start to finish let's say 200mm. But is it possible to calculate the max velocity reached while traveling between the points?

That's exactly the situation I was addressing in post #3 above. You just need to solve the three equations I gave to find "v". Not too hard.

Likes Mark Hogan
Hello everybody,

Thanks for your help. I found a solution. I used the following formulas -> (time = √2Xdistance / accel) and the formula -> (velocity final = time x accel x velocity initial)

I then graphed the velocity for both acceleration and deceleration vs the distance traveled for a number of points. Where the two curves on the graphs met gave me the
max velocity reached between the two points.

Thanks again for your help,
Mark

Did you check your result? Your method sounds a little suspicious.

velocity final = time x accel x velocity initial

That's not correct. I think you mean ..

velocity final = (time x accel) + velocity initial

PS The answer I got was about 0.7 m/s

Khashishi said:
Did you check your result? Your method sounds a little suspicious.
I agree. I would like to see them do the problem using t1 and t2 for the two times, and then compare the results with the other method. I think the answer will come out differently. It also seems easier to do this problem using the times.

Chet

Capture.PNG
Hello everybody,

Sorry I meant... velocity final = (time x accel) + velocity initial... (typing error!). CWatters I also came out with 0.7m/s. I graphed the max velocity for both acceleration and deceleration against different distances in increments of 100mm for 1m. I was able to read from this the max velocity reached between the points. I have included a picture of my graph for you to see.

Mark

I did it by solving the three equations I posted earlier. Only takes a few steps. That gives the equation...

V2 = 2*D*a*d/(a+d)

where
V = max velocity
D = Distance from A to B (0.2m)
a = acceleration (2m/s/s)
d = deceleration (3m/s/s)

Plug in the numbers and you get 0.7m/s

Likes Mark Hogan
Chestermiller said:
I agree. I would like to see them do the problem using t1 and t2 for the two times, and then compare the results with the other method. I think the answer will come out differently. It also seems easier to do this problem using the times.

I can't see how to do that as you don't know the total time. I think you would have to eliminate time as one of the steps in solving the equations.

Here is my working...

The three equations I wrote above were:

Accelerating phase..
v2 = 2as1......(1)

Decelerating phase..
0 = v2 + 2(-d)s2.....(2)

and
s1 + s2 = D (the total distance)... (3)

Rearrange 1) and 2) to give

s1 = V2/2a
s2= V2/2d

Adding together (see eqn 3) gives

V2/2a + V2/2d = D

Rearrange to give

V2 = 2*D*a*d/(a+d)

Likes Mark Hogan
CWatters said:
Here is my working...

The three equations I wrote above were:

Accelerating phase..
v2 = 2as1......(1)

Decelerating phase..
0 = v2 + 2(-d)s2.....(2)

and
s1 + s2 = D (the total distance)... (3)

Rearrange 1) and 2) to give

s1 = V2/2a
s2= V2/2d

Adding together (see eqn 3) gives

V2/2a + V2/2d = D

Rearrange to give

V2 = 2*D*a*d/(a+d)
Hi CWatters, Thanks for your help this is a much better way of doing it :-)

yeah. suvat is a lot faster here. I would have solved the equations without suvat, but it just depends which way you prefer to do it. (I have long forgotten suvat, so I prefer not to use it).
p.s. nice graph. graphs are always good :)

Likes Mark Hogan

1. How do you calculate the maximum speed of an object between two points?

The maximum speed of an object between two points can be calculated by dividing the distance between the two points by the time it takes for the object to travel that distance. This will give you the average speed. Then, to find the maximum speed, you can use the equation v = d/t, where v is the maximum speed, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. What factors affect the maximum speed of an object?

The maximum speed of an object can be affected by various factors such as the object's mass, the force applied to it, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance. The object's shape and surface area can also play a role in determining its maximum speed.

3. Can an object's maximum speed change during its motion between two points?

Yes, an object's maximum speed can change during its motion between two points. This can happen if the object encounters changes in external forces or if the object itself changes shape or mass during its motion.

4. How does the maximum speed of an object relate to its acceleration?

The maximum speed of an object is directly related to its acceleration. This can be seen in the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. As acceleration increases, the object's maximum speed also increases.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the maximum speed of an object between two points?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating the maximum speed of an object between two points. These limitations can include the accuracy of the measurements taken, the presence of external factors that may affect the object's motion, and the assumption that the object is traveling in a straight line between the two points. Additionally, in real-world scenarios, objects may not always reach their maximum speed due to various limitations and obstacles.