1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the particular solution to an ODE with set boundary conditions.

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

80234296.jpg

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

5184b1eb.jpg

The problem and attempt are as above, i'm not sure where to go from here though. I'm not sure what to do with the boundary condition of dx/dt=-2 and t=0.
    Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

The answer to your auxiliary equation is wrong, m=+/- 2i not +/- 2 so the homogeneous solution is of the form [tex]x_{h}=C_{1}cos(2t)+C_{2}Sin(2t)[/tex]

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    Thanks for pointing that out, i've had another go and realised i needed to differentiate the general solution and then sub in the other boundaries to get the other simultaneous equation. My completed solution looks like this:

742403f1.jpg

I have also done part c), got the answer x=(i/sqrt3)[-e^(2it)+e^(-2it)]

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

djeitnstine

Gold Member

make your solution without complex coefficients so [tex]y_{h}=C_{1}sin2t+C_{2}cos2t[/tex]

then work out the result [tex]C_{1}sin0+C_{2}cos0=1[/tex]
    [tex]C_{2}=1[/tex]

[tex]y_{h}'=2C_{1}cos2t-2C_{2}sin2t[/tex]

[tex]2C_{1}cos0-2C_{2}0=-2[/tex]

[tex]-2C_{1}-2=-2[/tex]

[tex]C_{1}=0[/tex]....

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5
    If i use Euler's formula to sub out e^(2it) for cos(2t)+i*sin(2t) won't i still be left with complex coefficients? Their are complex numbers in the (1+i) term. I don't see how i can cancel out all the complex numbers.

7. Feb 26, 2009 #6

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook