Help Finding a Pattern in Fractions: 1/2, 1/6, 1/12, 1/20, 1/30, 1/42, 1/56

• Thread starter 1+1=1
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the person is looking for a pattern in the numbers 1/2, 1/6, 1/12, 1/20, 1/30, 1/42, 1/56. They know that by looking at the denominators, if they could only work with those numbers, they could use the formula: 2n+a_n_1. However, they are having trouble with the sum of 1/n(n+1), which is given already on one side of the equation. They ask for help from someone who knows how to do expansions, but are met with skepticism. The person then explains that the partial sum is 1 and offers to help the other person with their homework.
1+1=1
Is there anyone who can help me? I need to find a pattern in these numbers:
1/2, 1/6, 1/12, 1/20, 1/30, 1/42, 1/56. Now, I know just by looking at the denominators, if I could only work with those, I could use the formula:
2n+a_n_1. But I have that fraction, so it's all screwy. Anyone see where I'm screwing up? I know I can't.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about [tex]u_n = \frac{1}
{{n\left( {n + 1} \right)}}[/tex]

well, this is a summation problem. it is the summation of 1/n(n+1) equals "what." the "what" is what I'm supposed to find. the 1/n(n+1) is already given for the one side of the equation, i need to find what the summation is also equal to.

have you try just doing a few terms by hand, it might give you a clue!

I thought you were looking for a pattern to find the formula.
Are you looking for a formula for a partial sum or for the sum of the infinite series?

gnpatterson said:
have you try just doing a few terms by hand, it might give you a clue!

Do you honestly think I have not tried that. Give me some credit. :devil:

Have you thought of the expansion?

[tex]\frac{1}
{{n\left( {n + 1} \right)}} = \frac{1}
{n} - \frac{1}
{{n + 1}}[/tex]

1/n(n+1)=1/n - 1/(n+1)

If you write the sum: Sn= (1/2-1/6) + (1/6-1/12) + ... + (1/n - 1/(n+1) )
All the terms cancel except 1/2 and 1/n+1
i.e. Sn= 1/2 - 1/(n+1)= (n-1)/2(n+1)

Taking the limit n->infinity, we get: 1/2

I hope it's the correct answer!

The first element (n = 1) already is 1/2 so it has to be more. Other than that, your work looks good so it should be 1/2 + your 1/2 = 1 :smile:

The partial sum is

[tex]s_n = \frac{n}
{{n + 1}}[/tex]

So for the infinite series

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } s_n = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \frac{n}
{{n + 1}} = 1[/tex]

You are right. I made a mistake. The first term of Sn should've been '1', since 1/n gives 1 for n=1.

So the series converges to 1, and all terms from 1/2 to 1/n cancel in the partial sum to give, Sn=n/(n+1), just as you point out.

FAQ: Help Finding a Pattern in Fractions: 1/2, 1/6, 1/12, 1/20, 1/30, 1/42, 1/56

1. What is the pattern in this sequence of fractions?

The pattern in this sequence of fractions is that the denominators increase by 2 each time, starting from 2 and going up to 56. The numerators are always 1.

2. How can I continue this pattern?

To continue this pattern, you would need to find the next fraction by increasing the denominator by 2 again. The next fraction would be 1/72, followed by 1/90, and so on.

3. Is there a formula for finding the next fraction in this pattern?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the next fraction in this pattern. It is 1/(n(n+1)), where n is the next integer after the previous denominator.

4. Can this pattern be extended to larger numbers?

Yes, this pattern can be extended to larger numbers. The formula for finding the next fraction can be used for any positive integer n, not just the ones given in this sequence.

5. How is this pattern useful in real-life situations?

This pattern is useful in real-life situations when dealing with fractions and finding the next fraction in a sequence. It can also be used in mathematical and scientific calculations and in creating mathematical models.