1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the period with mass attached to two springs

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass m slides on a frictionless horizontal surface, connected to two springs. If the springs have force constants k1 and k2, show that the simple harmonic sliding motion has period: T = 2pi*sq root(m(k1+k2)/(k1k2)
    There is a diagram and the springs are connected horizontally to each other and then attached to the mass.

2. Relevant equations
    T=1/f
    f=1/2pi*sq root(k/m)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured out that for one spring T=2pi*sq root(m/k1), but i dont understand how to get k1k2 at the bottom of the equation that i need to show.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the two springs of spring constant k1 and k2 are connected in series, they behave like a single spring of equivalent spring constant k = k1*k2/(k1+k2).

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    This is my first post, so I hope this is okay to post! Kindly let me know if it is not.

I just did this in my homework this past weekend!!

starting with Hooke's law, F=kx

for both k values:

F=k1x1
    F=k2x2

so

x1=F/k1
    x2=F/k2

distance traveled is x = x1+x2

x1 + x2 = F/k1 + F/k2

get common denominator of k1k2

x = (Fk2 + Fk1)/ k1k2

factor out F

x = F (k2 + k1) / k1k2

divide by F

x/F = (k2 + k1)/k1k2

now you have your k value that you can plug into your formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook