Finding the points on an ellipse where the slope of the tangent line equals 1

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points at which the slope of the tangent is 1 for an ellipse with the equation x^2/9 + y^2/16 = 1. The slope of the tangent is given as dx/dy = -16x/9y and the participants discuss how to solve for x or y using this information and the equation of the ellipse. The conversation ends with the realization that the equation may have a mistake and links to a duplicate post for further discussion.
delriofi
If there is an an ellipse x^2/9 + y^2/16 = 1, and the slope of the tangent is dx/dy = -16x/9y, how do you find what points at which the slope of the tangent is 1? I have no idea how to answer this and I've been trying for like an hour. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi delriofi! :smile:

delriofi said:
If there is an an ellipse x^2/9 + y^2/16 = 1, and the slope of the tangent is dx/dy = -16x/9y, how do you find what points at which the slope of the tangent is 1? I have no idea how to answer this and I've been trying for like an hour. Can anyone help me?

Don't you mean dy/dx=-16x/9y ?
Well, since you know the slope is 1, you know that 1=-16x/9y, thus 9y=-16x. Substitute that back into the equation for the ellipse and solve for x (or y).

Ok so I did x^2/9 + (-9y/16)^2/16 = 1 and I get that x^2/9 - x^2/9 = 1 but that doesn't make sense does it?

I would first clarify that the equation given is for an ellipse with center at the origin and major and minor axes of length 6 and 8, respectively. This information is important for understanding the geometry of the ellipse and finding its points of tangency.

To find the points on an ellipse where the slope of the tangent line equals 1, we can use the fact that the slope of the tangent line at a point on the ellipse is given by the derivative of the ellipse equation with respect to y, divided by the derivative of the ellipse equation with respect to x. In other words, the slope of the tangent line at a point (x,y) on the ellipse is given by dy/dx = -16x/9y.

To find the points where the slope of the tangent is 1, we can set dy/dx = 1 and solve for the x and y values that satisfy this equation. In this case, we get the equation -16x/9y = 1, which simplifies to -16x = 9y. This is a linear equation in x and y, and we can solve for one variable in terms of the other. For example, if we solve for x, we get x = (-9/16)y.

Substituting this value of x into the equation for the ellipse, we get (-9/16)y^2/9 + y^2/16 = 1, which simplifies to 7y^2/144 = 1. Solving for y, we get y = ±12/√7. Substituting this value of y into the equation for x, we get x = ±(9/16)(12/√7) = ±27/4√7.

Therefore, the points on the ellipse where the slope of the tangent line equals 1 are (27/4√7, 12/√7) and (-27/4√7, -12/√7). These points can be verified by substituting them into the derivative dy/dx = -16x/9y and confirming that it is equal to 1.

In conclusion, to find the points on an ellipse where the slope of the tangent line equals 1, we can set the derivative of the ellipse equation equal to 1 and solve for the x and y values that satisfy this equation. This approach can be applied to any

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of geometric shape that is characterized by its curved, closed shape. It resembles a flattened circle and is defined by two points, called foci, and a constant sum of distances from any point on the ellipse to the two foci.

2. What is the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a tangent line is a measure of how steeply a curve is rising or falling at a specific point. It is the rate of change of the curve at that point and is represented by the derivative of the curve's equation.

3. How do you find the points on an ellipse where the slope of the tangent line equals 1?

To find the points on an ellipse where the slope of the tangent line equals 1, you would first need to find the equation of the ellipse. Then, using the derivative of the equation, you can set the slope equal to 1 and solve for the x and y values of the points where this occurs.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the points on an ellipse where the slope of the tangent line equals 1?

Yes, for example, the equation of an ellipse is given by x^2/16 + y^2/9 = 1. Using the derivative, we get the equation 2x/16 + 2yy'/9 = 0. Setting this equal to 1 and solving for y', we get y' = -9x/16y. Plugging this back into the original equation, we can solve for the points where y' = 1, which are (4, 3) and (-4, -3).

5. Why is finding the points on an ellipse where the slope of the tangent line equals 1 important?

Finding these points is important because they represent the maximum and minimum points on the ellipse. This information is useful in many applications, such as in engineering and physics, where understanding the curvature and direction of a curve is crucial.