1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Resultant Displacement of 4 Vectors

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    Hey, guys! I just started my senior high school physics and calculus courses. So far all we have done is the basics of vectors. I can find the resultant displacement of 2-3 vector problems fairly easily. My physics teacher told us to try and make up our own questions, to see if we could do them. I did two questions with 3 vector additions and had no problem. Now, I have tried to find the resultant displacement of a 4-vector addition problem, and I am not having much luck! I've been going at it for about 2 hours, coming close, but not quite there. The vectors are:
    1: 15m [25 degrees East of North]
    2: 10m [10 degrees East of South
    3. 5m [East]
    4. 10m [30 degrees South of West]

Now, I've made a little progress, but not too much. I was wondering if maybe I needed some more knowledge of calculus and vectors before I could continue? If so, great, it's something I'll learn this year! If not, I'll keep going until I get it!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    Try adding the first three and then add the fourth to the result. Then you won't be adding more than three vectors at the same time.
  4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    Great! I guess I was just thinking about it too hard. I have it solved now!
    Thanks for the help! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook