Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the Resultant Displacement of 4 Vectors

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    Hey, guys! I just started my senior high school physics and calculus courses. So far all we have done is the basics of vectors. I can find the resultant displacement of 2-3 vector problems fairly easily. My physics teacher told us to try and make up our own questions, to see if we could do them. I did two questions with 3 vector additions and had no problem. Now, I have tried to find the resultant displacement of a 4-vector addition problem, and I am not having much luck! I've been going at it for about 2 hours, coming close, but not quite there. The vectors are:
    1: 15m [25 degrees East of North]
    2: 10m [10 degrees East of South
    3. 5m [East]
    4. 10m [30 degrees South of West]

Now, I've made a little progress, but not too much. I was wondering if maybe I needed some more knowledge of calculus and vectors before I could continue? If so, great, it's something I'll learn this year! If not, I'll keep going until I get it!

Thanks,

Charlie

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    Try adding the first three and then add the fourth to the result. Then you won't be adding more than three vectors at the same time.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    Great! I guess I was just thinking about it too hard. I have it solved now!
    Thanks for the help! :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook