Finding the resultant velocity?

In summary, the problem involves finding the resultant velocity of a boat traveling north in a river with an eastward current. By using the Pythagorean theorem, we can calculate the hypotenuse to be 5 miles per hour. The complete answer also includes an angle of approximately 53.13° to the bank, which can be found by assuming the boat's direction is perpendicular to the banks and using basic trigonometry.
Math9999

Homework Statement

A boat heads north across a river at a rate of 4 miles per hour. If the current is flowing east at a rate of 3 miles per hour, find the resultant velocity of the boat.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the resultant velocity is the hypotenuse, which means that 4^2+3^2=v^2, where v=5 mi/h. And that's only part of the answer. The whole answer in the textbook says 5 mi/h at an angle of ≈53.13° to the bank. But how do I find the angle to the bank?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math9999 said:

Homework Statement

A boat heads north across a river at a rate of 4 miles per hour. If the current is flowing east at a rate of 3 miles per hour, find the resultant velocity of the boat.

Homework Equations

None.

I know that the resultant velocity is the hypotenuse, which means that 4^2+3^2=v^2, where v=5 mi/h. And that's only part of the answer. The whole answer in the textbook says 5 mi/h at an angle of ≈53.13° to the bank. But how do I find the angle to the bank?
Not without additional assumptions or conditions. You need to interpret "across the river" as perpendicular to the banks.

Math9999 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None.

Have you drawn a diagram?

Likes Math9999
Well, the problem didn't mention as perpendicular to the bank. So that means the answer is just 5 mi/h, right?

Math9999 said:
Well, the problem didn't mention as perpendicular to the bank. So that means the answer is just 5 mi/h, right?

A velocity always has a direction.

Likes Math9999
So how to figure the angle out?

Math9999 said:
So how to figure the angle out?
By the assumption I've suggested and the diagram @PeroK has suggested. Figure out the remaining angles of your triangle.

Likes Math9999
cos-1(3/5)≈53.13°, am I right?

Math9999 said:
cos-1(3/5)≈53.13°, am I right?

I suspect your calculator can tell you that!

Okay, thank you!

1. What is resultant velocity?

Resultant velocity is the overall velocity or speed and direction of an object, taking into account all the individual velocities acting on it.

2. How is resultant velocity calculated?

To find the resultant velocity, you can use vector addition. This involves adding the individual velocities, taking into account their direction and magnitude, to determine the overall velocity.

3. What is the difference between resultant velocity and average velocity?

Resultant velocity takes into account the individual velocities acting on an object, while average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken. Average velocity does not consider the direction of motion.

4. Can resultant velocity be negative?

Yes, resultant velocity can be negative. This occurs when the individual velocities acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a net velocity in the opposite direction.

5. How does resultant velocity affect motion?

Resultant velocity affects motion by determining the overall speed and direction of an object. It can also affect the acceleration and displacement of an object, depending on the individual velocities involved.