Finding the smallest resistance on a I-V graph

In summary: No problem at all!In summary, the homework statement is saying that in order to find the resistance, we need to look at the graph and find the point with the largest gradient. The mark scheme states that this is the point C, but why is this the right answer? The gradient of the line connecting the origin and point C is the largest, but the correct answer is B.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Ok, so I did this..
V=IR
I=(1/R)V, gradient is (1/R) -> y=mx+c
So in order to have the smallest resistance, we choose the point on the graph that has the largest gradient, which I chose B, because the tangent on the graph on point B is the largest, but the correct answer is C. Why?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

The mark scheme states that we have to draw a line through the origin up to the point on the graph, and the line that has the largest gradient is the right answer, which is point C. But why through the origin? I thought tangent? As we are looking for the gradient?

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 88314

Ok, so I did this..
V=IR
I=(1/R)V, gradient is (1/R) -> y=mx+c
So in order to have the smallest resistance, we choose the point on the graph that has the largest gradient, which I chose B, because the tangent on the graph on point B is the largest, but the correct answer is C. Why?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

The mark scheme states that we have to draw a line through the origin up to the point on the graph, and the line that has the largest gradient is the right answer, which is point C. But why through the origin? I thought tangent? As we are looking for the gradient?

I think you should consider the gradient of lines joining the origin and points A, B, C and D, not the gradient of the curve at these points.

C. Lee said:
I think you should consider the gradient of lines joining the origin and each point A, B, C, and D, not the gradient of the curve at these points.
Why line through the origin?

Janiceleong26 said:
Why line through the origin?
Sorry that I missed the point.

Think about the relation V=IR again. Does it have any additional constant term in it?

C. Lee said:
Sorry that I missed the point.

Think about the relation V=IR again. Does it have any additional constant term in it?

Right.. I see it now. Thanks! But why can't we use tangent on the graph? Like how we use it for v-t graph to find acceleration?

Janiceleong26 said:
Right.. I see it now. Thanks! But why can't we use tangent on the graph? Like how we use it for v-t graph to find acceleration?

I think that is because the definition of R and acceleration are somewhat different in two cases.
Acceleration is the rate of change in velocity. But think about R. Is the definition of R the rate of change in V with respect to I?
It is the ratio of V to I, not the rate of change.
Hope this could be the answer for your question. Sorry for my deficient English!

V = I*R
so
R= V/I

Note that it's V/I not ΔV/ΔI or dV/dI.

They ask for "the resistance" not something like "the small signal resistance at a bias point"

C. Lee said:
I think that is because the definition of R and acceleration are somewhat different in two cases.
Acceleration is the rate of change in velocity. But think about R. Is the definition of R the rate of change in V with respect to I?
It is the ratio of V to I, not the rate of change.
Hope this could be the answer for your question. Sorry for my deficient English!
I see I see. Thanks a lot! No it's alright, my English isn't good either

CWatters said:
V = I*R
so
R= V/I

Note that it's V/I not ΔV/ΔI or dV/dI.

They ask for "the resistance" not something like "the small signal resistance at a bias point"
Ooh, ok ok. Thank you !

1. What is a I-V graph?

An I-V graph, also known as a current-voltage graph, is a visual representation of the relationship between current (I) and voltage (V) in a circuit. It shows how the current changes in response to different voltage levels.

2. How do you find the smallest resistance on a I-V graph?

To find the smallest resistance on a I-V graph, you need to look for the point where the line of the graph is steepest. This indicates the highest current for a given voltage, which corresponds to the smallest resistance. The value of the resistance can be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

3. What is the significance of finding the smallest resistance on a I-V graph?

Finding the smallest resistance on a I-V graph is important because it helps determine the efficiency of a circuit. A smaller resistance means a higher current can flow through the circuit, which can result in better performance and less energy loss.

4. What factors can affect the smallest resistance on a I-V graph?

The smallest resistance on a I-V graph can be affected by factors such as the properties of the material used for the circuit, the length and thickness of the wires, and the temperature of the circuit. These factors can change the resistance and therefore alter the shape of the I-V graph.

5. Can the smallest resistance on a I-V graph ever be negative?

No, the smallest resistance on a I-V graph can never be negative. Resistance is a physical property that can only have positive values. If a line on a I-V graph appears to have a negative slope, it means the current and voltage values have been plotted incorrectly or there is an issue with the circuit.