1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the solution to an IVP Problem. Basic Differential Equations problem.

1. Jun 12, 2011 #1
    I am trying to solve an IVP problem and I seem to be stuck on it because I am getting an integration that seems very complicated and I think I messed up on it, I have my work so far below.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the solution to the IVP

ty^'+7y=2t^2 e^2t, y(1)=7

Is this equation linear? Determine in what interval the solutions exist.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[​IMG]

The image has my work so far, as you can see the integration for (t^7)(2te^2t) is a beast and that is why I think I am wrong so far. Here is the integration answer http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+%28t^7%29%282te^%282t%29%29.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2011 #2
    The primitives of (t^8)exp(2t) are on the form P(x)exp(2t) were P(x) is a 8th degree polynomial.
    Derive this function and find the coefficients of the polynomial by indentification with (t^8)exp(2t)

4. Jun 13, 2011 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You started out very well, and from:
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{dt}(t^{7}y)=2t^{8}e^{2t}
    [/tex]
    I think you have made an error, you can do two things: 1) You can do an indefinite integration and add an integration constant and find that constand by using the initial condition or 2) integrate from 1 to t both sides and use Y(1)=7.

5. Jun 13, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Integrate 2t8e2t using integration by parts- 8 times!

6. Jun 26, 2011 #5
    Thanks for everyone else and this is what I ended up doing. It was the correct way of solving the problem even though it was a little bit of a hassle! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?