How Do You Find Space Charge Density from an Electric Field?

Remember that you have to use the formula you provided in 2. to find the space charge density, so you need to somehow express the electric field in terms of \vec{E} = E_x\hat{x} + E_y\hat{y} + E_z\hat{z}.In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the divergence and curl of an electric field and using it to determine the space charge density. The first part of the question is straightforward, but the second part involves finding the space charge density using a given equation. The conversation suggests using knowledge about calculating the divergence in non-Cartesian coordinate systems to solve the problem.
weathergal
I am taking a lightning class for my atmospheric science masters degree. However its been awhile and I am having trouble with remembering how to do the physics portion of it. I hope someone can help me!

Homework Statement

I have an electric field [itex]\vec{}E[/itex]=E[itex]_{}x[/itex][itex]\widehat{}X[/itex]+E[itex]_{}y[/itex][itex]\widehat{}Y[/itex]+E[itex]_{}z[/itex][itex]\widehat{}Z[/itex] Find the divergence and curl of this electric field. I have done this with no problem. The second part is where I am confused. I have to find the space density charge of [itex]\vec{}E[/itex]=E(r)[itex]\dot{}r\widehat{}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I have an equation for space charge density but am unsure how to derive it. The space charge equation I have is ([itex]\rho[/itex]/[itex]\epsilon[/itex])=delta dot E

Can some one give me some pointers on even how to find a space charge denstiy?\
Thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really have to derive the equation? Based on what you've posted, it seems that you only have to use it.
[tex]\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} = \vec{\nabla}\cdot \vec{E}[/tex]
You've said that you know how to calculate the divergence and curl of a vector field. How can you apply that to this problem?

The equation in 2. is Gauss's Law for the Electric Field in differential form.

It's not delta, but nabla, the symbol for del, the vector differential operator. In this case nabla dot E means divergance of the electric field.

Well this is a two part question. The first part is to find the curl and divergence. Part B is if E=E(r)[itex]\widehat{r}[/itex] what is the space charge. I just firgure that part a is used in part b. I guess I am wrong. I think the answer to this would be just

([itex]\rho[/itex]/[itex]\epsilon[/itex])=dE(r)/dr

weathergal said:
The first part is to find the curl and divergence. Part B is if E=E(r)[itex]\widehat{r}[/itex] what is the space charge. I just firgure that part a is used in part b. I guess I am wrong.
No, you're correct. Part a is used in part b. Or, at least, you could use part a in part b, though it's not the only way.

Have you learned anything about calculating the divergence in non-Cartesian coordinate systems? If so, you can use that knowledge for part b. If not, consider this: how can you express the vector field you're given in part b, [itex]E_r\hat{r}[/itex], in terms of the Cartesian unit vectors [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y},\hat{z}[/itex]?
weathergal said:
I think the answer to this would be just

([itex]\rho[/itex]/[itex]\epsilon[/itex])=dE(r)/dr
Not quite, but you're thinking along the right lines.

FAQ: How Do You Find Space Charge Density from an Electric Field?

1. What is space charge density?

Space charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge present per unit volume in a given space. It is typically denoted by the symbol ρ and is expressed in units of coulombs per meter cubed (C/m^3).

2. How is space charge density calculated?

Space charge density can be calculated by dividing the total electric charge present in a given volume by the volume itself. This can be expressed as ρ = Q/V, where Q is the total charge and V is the volume. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by integrating the charge density function over the volume of interest.

3. What factors affect space charge density?

Space charge density is affected by several factors, including the presence of electric charges, the dielectric constant of the material, the temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the space charge density.

4. How is space charge density measured?

Space charge density can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as electrostatic voltmeters, Faraday cups, or Kelvin probes. These instruments are able to detect and measure the electric field and potential in a given space, which can then be used to calculate the space charge density.

5. Why is space charge density important?

Space charge density is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the properties of materials. It plays a crucial role in many areas of science and technology, such as in the design and operation of electronic devices, the study of plasma physics, and the understanding of atmospheric phenomena like lightning strikes.