Finding the Tangent Line of x^4+2x^2 at x=1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Mindscrape
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Okay, so I was helping someone study for the AP calculus exam, and I don't really know why we got this question wrong. It says to find the tangent line to the equation [itex]f(x)=x^4+2x^2[/itex] at x=1.


Homework Equations


Taylor series, we'll just use first order.
[tex]f(x)|_{x=x_0} \approx f(x_0) + f'(x_0)(x-x_0)[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


Should be easy as cake, but according to the AP exam answer guide the answer I got is wrong. Anyways, here's what I did.

[tex]f'(x)=4x^3 + 4x[/tex]
[tex]f(1)=3[/tex]
[tex]f'(1)=8[/tex]

So, using our first order expansion (this level of calculus would simply call it "linearization") we should get:
[tex]f(x)|_{x=1} = 3 + 8x - 8 = 8x -5[/tex]

This was one of the answers, just not the right one according to the answer sheet. The right answer was something like x - .329

I just don't see either why my answer is incorrect, and why the other answer would be correct. Am I being stupid?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you're being stupid. I got the same answer and I am at a loss as to how they got a y intercept of -.329 if the slope is x. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mistake
 
Mindscrape said:

Homework Statement


Okay, so I was helping someone study for the AP calculus exam, and I don't really know why we got this question wrong. It says to find the tangent line to the equation [itex]f(x)=x^4+2x^2[/itex] at x=1.


Homework Equations


Taylor series, we'll just use first order.
[tex]f'(x)|_{x=x_0} \approx f(x_0) + f'(x_0)(x-x_0)[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


Should be easy as cake, but according to the AP exam answer guide the answer I got is wrong. Anyways, here's what I did.

[tex]f'(x)=4x^3 + 4x[/tex]
[tex]f(1)=3[/tex]
[tex]f'(1)=8[/tex]

So, using our first order expansion (this level of calculus would simply call it "linearization") we should get:
[tex]f'(x)|_{x=1} = 3 + 8x - 8 = 8x -5[/tex]

This was one of the answers, just not the right one according to the answer sheet. The right answer was something like x - .329

I just don't see either why my answer is incorrect, and why the other answer would be correct. Am I being stupid?

Taylor series, we'll just use first order (Should be)
[tex]f(x) \approx f(x_0) + f'(x_0)(x-x_0)[/tex], not [tex]f'(x)|_{x=x_0}\approx\dots[/tex]

It should be:
[tex]y = 3 + 8x - 8 = 8x -5[/tex], not [tex]f'(x)[/tex].

I would simply find [tex]f'(x)|_{x=1}=8[/tex], and use that for the slope of the tangent line.

Then find the y intercept, b, from [tex]y=mx+b\ \ \to\ \ 3=8(1)+b[/tex].

Then plug the slope & y-intercept back into the equation for the line.
 
I used a different method and arrived at the same answer you did.

I believe it is an error.
 
SammyS said:

Taylor series, we'll just use first order (Should be)
[tex]f(x) \approx f(x_0) + f'(x_0)(x-x_0)[/tex], not [tex]f'(x)|_{x=x_0}\approx\dots[/tex]

It should be:
[tex]y = 3 + 8x - 8 = 8x -5[/tex], not [tex]f'(x)[/tex].

I would simply find [tex]f'(x)|_{x=1}=8[/tex], and use that for the slope of the tangent line.

Then find the y intercept, b, from [tex]y=mx+b\ \ \to\ \ 3=8(1)+b[/tex].

Then plug the slope & y-intercept back into the equation for the line.

Sorry, whoops, I don't know why I put a prime on f(x) the first time I truncated the TS (the second time I just copied and pasted). Thanks for catching that, I'll fix it now even!

Nice to know that others got the same answer.
 
Last edited: