Finding the Tangent Vector of a Space Curve at a Given Point

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
roam
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



Here's a worked problem, I can't understand how they have evaluated T at the given point (in part c):

[PLAIN]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3725/97856984.gif

The Attempt at a Solution



I just substituted [tex](0,1, \pi/2)[/tex] into r'(s) but

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} cos \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \neq 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}. -sin \left(\frac{0}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = 0 \neq \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Why is it that I'm not getting the right answer? Is there something else I need to do here?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lanedance said:
to susbtitute into r'(s) you need to find s at that point

Okay, but still it doesn't work:

Since [tex]s= \sqrt{2}[/tex] , so at point 0 for example s=0. Then

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} . -sin \left( \frac{0}{\sqrt{2}} \right)=0[/tex]

You see, it should equal zero. But how did they get "[tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]"?? :rolleyes:
 
roam said:

Homework Statement



Here's a worked problem, I can't understand how they have evaluated T at the given point (in part c):

[PLAIN]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3725/97856984.gif

The Attempt at a Solution



I just substituted [tex](0,1, \pi/2)[/tex] into r'(s) but

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} cos \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \neq 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}. -sin \left(\frac{0}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = 0 \neq \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Why is it that I'm not getting the right answer? Is there something else I need to do here?
"at [itex](0, 1, \pi/2)[/itex]" does NOT mean s= 0! It is referring to
[tex]r(t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(t)\\ sin(t) \\ t\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
so t= [/itex]\pi/2[/itex].
 
Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
"at [itex](0, 1, \pi/2)[/itex]" does NOT mean s= 0! It is referring to
[tex]r(t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(t)\\ sin(t) \\ t\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
so t= [/itex]\pi/2[/itex].

How did you get [tex]t=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] out of that? Because by substituting these values into r(t) I got

[tex]r(t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(0)\\ sin(1) \\ \pi/2\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1\\ 0.84 \\ \pi/2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

And even if I set [tex]t=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] (therefore [tex]s= \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]) in r'(s), I still don't end up with [tex]-1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] in the first row like they have! :(
 
You should get that,
[tex]-\sin\left(\frac{\pi/\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = -\sin(\pi/2) = -1[/tex].

t = pi/2 comes from r(t) = (0, 1, pi/2) = (cos t, sin t, t) and looking at the last entry.