Finding the total area of the shaded region.

  • Thread starter Thread starter november1992
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
november1992
Messages
120
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6260/hardproblem.png

Homework Equations



1. First I solved for y
2. I put it in the form f(x)-(g(x)
3. Then I integrated


The Attempt at a Solution



The answer in my book says it is ∏/2.

I don't think I'm integrating right. I end up with this towards the end

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2431/hardproblem3rdstep.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
november1992 said:

Homework Statement




http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6260/hardproblem.png
What shaded region? There is nothing shaded. What is the verbal description of the region?
november1992 said:

Homework Equations



1. First I solved for y
2. I put it in the form f(x)-(g(x)
3. Then I integrated


The Attempt at a Solution



The answer in my book says it is ∏/2.

I don't think I'm integrating right. I end up with this towards the end

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2431/hardproblem3rdstep.png
No, that is incorrect. To confirm this fact, differentiate your result. If you don't get the original integrand, that's a clue that you're on the wrong track.

There's a trig half-angle identity you can use to integrate that squared cosine.
 
Last edited by a moderator: