Finding the total area of the shaded region.

• Thread starter november1992
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with a difficult integration problem and seeking help. The student has attempted to solve the problem by first solving for y and then integrating, but is unsure if they are integrating correctly. The solution in the book is given as pi/2, but the student is not confident in their answer. The other person in the conversation suggests using a trig half-angle identity to integrate the squared cosine.
november1992

Homework Statement

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6260/hardproblem.png

Homework Equations

1. First I solved for y
2. I put it in the form f(x)-(g(x)
3. Then I integrated

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in my book says it is ∏/2.

I don't think I'm integrating right. I end up with this towards the end

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2431/hardproblem3rdstep.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
november1992 said:

Homework Statement

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6260/hardproblem.png
What shaded region? There is nothing shaded. What is the verbal description of the region?
november1992 said:

Homework Equations

1. First I solved for y
2. I put it in the form f(x)-(g(x)
3. Then I integrated

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in my book says it is ∏/2.

I don't think I'm integrating right. I end up with this towards the end

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2431/hardproblem3rdstep.png
No, that is incorrect. To confirm this fact, differentiate your result. If you don't get the original integrand, that's a clue that you're on the wrong track.

There's a trig half-angle identity you can use to integrate that squared cosine.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the formula for finding the total area of the shaded region?

The formula for finding the total area of the shaded region is to first find the area of the entire shape and then subtract the areas of any non-shaded regions. This can be done using various formulas depending on the shape, such as A = πr² for a circle or A = l x w for a rectangle.

Do I need to know the dimensions of the shaded region to find the total area?

Yes, in order to find the total area of the shaded region, you will need to know the dimensions of the shaded area and the entire shape. This information can be given or can be measured or calculated based on the given information.

Can I use the same formula for any shape to find the total area of the shaded region?

No, the formula for finding the total area of the shaded region will vary depending on the shape. Different shapes have different formulas for calculating their area, so it is important to use the correct formula for the given shape.

What is the importance of finding the total area of the shaded region?

Finding the total area of the shaded region is important in various real-world applications, such as calculating the amount of paint needed to cover a wall or determining the total cost of a piece of land. It is also a fundamental concept in geometry and can help with understanding more complex mathematical concepts.

Can I estimate the total area of the shaded region?

Yes, if you do not have exact measurements for the shaded region, you can estimate the total area by breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes and finding the area of each individual shape. You can then add these areas together to get an estimate of the total area of the shaded region.