Finding the Value of [A,B] When Dependent on x,y,z,t

• Thread starter Karlisbad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
Daniel.In summary, the conversation discusses the commutator product of two operators A and B, denoted as [A,B]. The question posed is if A and B are dependent on x,y,z,t, what would be the value of the commutator [\partial_{c} A , \partial_{b} B] where c and b can be x,y,z or t. Different answers are proposed, with some suggesting that the commutator must be zero due to the antisymmetric nature of the product, while others argue for the use of Von-Neumann theorem and the treatment of A and B as position and momentum operators. However, due to the vague formulation of the problem, no conclusive answer can be reached.
Karlisbad
let be A and B 2 operator so their commutator is:

[tex] [A,B]=1 [/tex]

then my question is if A and B are dependant of x,y,z,t then what would be the value of commutator:

[tex] [\partial_{c} A , \partial_{b} B]=? [/tex]

where c and b can be x,y,z or t..thanks...:redface: :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if A is independent of x^b, then [tex] \partial_b A = \frac{\partial A}{\partial x^b}=0 \forall b [/tex]. Similarly for B, and so the commutator is zero.

One doesn't know. Iff one specifies the domain and ranges of the partially differentiated operators, can one compute the value of the commutator.

Daniel.

I'm not so sure, but after a fast calculus i found out that it should be zero the answer.
Using the propertie:

[tex] [AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B [/tex]

and remebering that:

[tex] [\partial_{c}, \partial_{b}]=0 [/tex]
since b and c are indip. variables.
you reach this condition:

[tex] [\partial_{c}A, \partial_{b}B]=[\partial_{b}B, \partial_{c}A]= [/tex]

wich means that:

[tex] [A,B]=[B,A]=AB-BA=BA-AB[/tex]

so AB=-AB ==> i think zero is the only solution.

Bye MARCO:smile:

[tex] [\partial_{c}A, \partial_{b}B]=[\partial_{b}B, \partial_{c}A] [/tex]

The commutator product is antisymmetric under interchange, no symmetric, so everything following this point is incorrect. I worked out the algebra (took about a page) and found that

[tex] \left [ \partial_c A, \partial_b A \right ] = \partial_c \left ( \left [ A, \partial_b \right ] B \right ) + \partial_b \left ( \left [ B, \partial_c \right ] A \right ) [/tex]

although I might have made a computational error.

Last edited:
StatMechGuy said:
The commutator product is antisymmetric under interchange, no symmetric, so everything following this point is incorrect. I worked out the algebra (took about a page) and found that

[tex] \left [ \partial_c A, \partial_b A \right ] = \partial_c \left ( \left [ A, \partial_b \right ] B \right ) + \partial_b \left ( \left [ B, \partial_c \right ] A \right ) [/tex]

i know is antysemmetric but if you keep expanding your calculus you find
a symmetric relation which tells you that the commutator must be zero since:
[A,B]=-[B,A] and also [A,B]=[B,A]

StatMechGuy said:

I see you imply that

[tex] \partial_{\mu}[A,B]=\left[\partial_{\mu}A, B\right] +\left[A,\partial_{\mu}B\right] [/tex]

,which is completely incorrect.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I see you imply that

[tex] \partial_{\mu}[A,B]=\left[\partial_{\mu}A, B\right] +\left[A,\partial_{\mu}B\right] [/tex]

,which is completely incorrect.

Daniel.

I'm not sure how I imply that at all. Lemme go through my steps, maybe you can find my error.

[tex]
[ \partial_c A, \partial_b B ] & = & \partial_c [A, \partial_b B] + [\partial_c, \partial_b B] A
[/tex]
[tex]
& = & - \left \{ \partial_c[\partial_b B, A] + [\partial_b B, \partial_c] A \right \} + \left \{ \partial_b [B, \partial_c] + [\partial_b, \partial_c] B \right \} A
[/tex]
[tex]
& = & - \partial_c \partial_b [B, A] - \partial_c([\partial_b, A] B) + \partial_b ([B, \partial_c ] A)
[/tex]
[tex]
& = & - \partial_c ([\partial_b, A] B) + \partial_b([B, \partial_c] A) [/tex]

Last edited:
Let's see whether i got the problem right. It happened to me a few days to get a problem wrong and therefore make erroneous statements.

1.What is [itex] [,] [/itex] supposed to mean ?
2.Who is A/B ?
3. Why can you take out the (possibly) space(-time) derivative from the bracket structure ?

Daniel.

Maybe I've made some mistake during the calculus.
Well i bet that the problem is that we don't know in which space A and B are defined. But if the space is L^2(RN) i hope u understand what i mean. We can use Von-Neumann theorem which say:
if two self-adjoint oerator A and B have the Heisenberg commutation rules, there exists u:
q=uAù and p=uBù.

so we can treat the problem using all we know about the position and the momentum operator.
Sorry i forgot to tell you that u is a unitary trasformation so that
uù=ùu=1.

dextercioby said:
Let's see whether i got the problem right. It happened to me a few days to get a problem wrong and therefore make erroneous statements.

1.What is [itex] [,] [/itex] supposed to mean ?
2.Who is A/B ?
3. Why can you take out the (possibly) space(-time) derivative from the bracket structure ?

Daniel.

1. Commutator brackets
2. I suppose two arbitrary operators
3. I'm using commutator identities to "pull those things out".

StatMechGuy said:
1. Commutator brackets
2. I suppose two arbitrary operators
3. I'm using commutator identities to "pull those things out".

1. Thought so myself.
2. Acting on what kinda space ?
3. If you make an assumption about 2., then i can argue against 3.

Daniel.

Marco_84 said:
Maybe I've made some mistake during the calculus.
Well i bet that the problem is that we don't know in which space A and B are defined. But if the space is L^2(RN) i hope u understand what i mean. We can use Von-Neumann theorem which say:
if two self-adjoint oerator A and B have the Heisenberg commutation rules, there exists u:
q=uAù and p=uBù.

so we can treat the problem using all we know about the position and the momentum operator.
Sorry i forgot to tell you that u is a unitary trasformation so that
uù=ùu=1.

In the way it's formulated, i'd say the problem is in the realms of quantum field theory, in which A and B are field operators depending on [itex] x^{\mu} [/itex] and the derivative [itex] \partial_{a} [/itex] is actually the more familiar [itex] \partial_{\mu} [/itex].

The sad thing is that the problem is too abstractly (read "vaguely") formulated and all we can do is make convenient assumptions, as the OP never bothered to answer to our (possible) solutions.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
In the way it's formulated, i'd say the problem is in the realms of quantum field theory, in which A and B are field operators depending on [itex] x^{\mu} [/itex] and the derivative [itex] \partial_{a} [/itex] is actually the more familiar [itex] \partial_{\mu} [/itex].

The sad thing is that the problem is too abstractly (read "vaguely") formulated and all we can do is make convenient assumptions, as the OP never bothered to answer to our (possible) solutions.

Daniel.

Yes i know what you mean, but, you know for sure that the fock space still an Hilbert space (IT'S JUST A COUNTOUBLY ADDITION OF SUCH THOSE SPACES) so i think the theorem works good anyway.
I'm pretty sure also the question was about the relativistic wiew. It doesn't change the algebraic properties of the operators a lot. P (the momentum) still a "illimitato" operator, not bounded it's right?
what ever you say. You can pick a sequence of function (fn) in the Fock space that: (||Pfn||)/(||fn||)=infinity when n goes too infinity. where the norm/scalar product its the appropriate of the Hilbert space in exam. for example on L2(0,+infinity) fn=exp(-nx).

Bye Marco

Veramente giusto. Unfortunately though, using unitary transformations to bring the problem back to canonical (anti)commutation relations for the fundamental fields of the theory (i.e. analogues of the x and p in qm of systens with finite # of degrees of freedom) is not a great simplification, since the fock space is not unique and this reflects itself in different physical models for basically the same comm.relations.

Either way, this is already philosophy and not mathematics.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Veramente giusto. Unfortunately though, using unitary transformations to bring the problem back to canonical (anti)commutation relations for the fundamental fields of the theory (i.e. analogues of the x and p in qm of systens with finite # of degrees of freedom) is not a great simplification, since the fock space is not unique and this reflects itself in different physical models for basically the same comm.relations.

Either way, this is already philosophy and not mathematics.

Daniel.

Dexter, beware that you do not become too theoretical a physicist. :wink:
People will get scared of you. :rofl:

marlon

dextercioby said:
1. Thought so myself.
2. Acting on what kinda space ?
3. If you make an assumption about 2., then i can argue against 3.

Daniel.

What kind of space do you like? I viewed A and B as operators that were functions of x, p and t in your standard classical quantum mechanics. What else could they be?

1. How do you determine the value of [A,B] when it is dependent on x, y, z, and t?

The value of [A,B] when it is dependent on x, y, z, and t can be determined by using a mathematical equation or formula. This equation will include the variables x, y, z, and t, and will give you a specific value for [A,B] based on the values of the variables.

2. What factors can affect the value of [A,B] when it is dependent on x, y, z, and t?

The value of [A,B] can be affected by various factors, such as the values of x, y, z, and t, the type of mathematical equation or formula used, and any other relevant variables that are included in the equation.

3. Can [A,B] have multiple values when dependent on x, y, z, and t?

Yes, [A,B] can have multiple values when dependent on x, y, z, and t. This is because the values of x, y, z, and t can vary, and therefore, the value of [A,B] can also vary accordingly.

4. How does the value of [A,B] change when one of the variables x, y, z, or t is changed?

The value of [A,B] will change when one of the variables x, y, z, or t is changed. This change will depend on the specific mathematical equation or formula used and the relationship between the variables. In some cases, the change in one variable may have a direct effect on the value of [A,B], while in others, the change may have an indirect or negligible effect.

5. Can the value of [A,B] be calculated without knowing the values of x, y, z, and t?

In most cases, the value of [A,B] cannot be calculated without knowing the values of x, y, z, and t. This is because these variables are necessary components of the mathematical equation or formula used to determine the value of [A,B]. However, there may be some cases where the value of [A,B] can be approximated or estimated without knowing the exact values of the variables.