1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the value of an exponential given that e^a=10 and e^b=4

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that e^a=10 and e^b=4. Find the value of

[itex]loga(b)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]ln(b)=loga(b)/loga(e)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I've only gotten to the above equation rearranged to:

[itex]ln(b) loga(e)=loga(b)/[/itex]. I'm unsure as to where I'm supposed to go from here...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2
    A useful relation is loga b = logeb / logea.
    How is logeb related to eb?

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    Hmm, you can get e^b from it by going exp(exp(ln(b))), but I'm kinda stuck. I get up to this stage:

loga(b)=lnb/lna

exp(loga(b))=exp(lnb/lna)

I can re-arrange so that I get exp(loga(b))=(exp(lnb))1/lna)=b^1/lna, then I'm unsure where to go as I dont know what to do with the 1/lna.

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4
    EDIT: That doesn't seem useful for the problem here. What you should use is b = ln eb.

Find ln a just the way you found ln b and substitute it here.

You don't need to do this. :smile:

6. Oct 8, 2012 #5
    Wait, I just realized that all I had to do was solve for a and b in the original equations and plug it in. Doh! Thanks for the help though :)

7. Oct 8, 2012 #6

uart

Science Advisor

And if you want to write it in terms of 4 and 10 then it's [itex] \frac{\ln \ln 4}{ \ln \ln 10}[/itex]

8. Oct 8, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(Do NOT put the HTML "sub" tags inside "tex" tags, either do not use "tex" or use underscores, "_", in "tex".)
    For any x, eln(x)= x so that [itex]a^x= e^{ln(a^x)}= e^{x ln(a)}[/itex]. Similarly, if [itex]y= log_a(b)[/itex], then [itex]b= a^y[/itex] so that [itex]b= e^{ln a^y}= e^{y ln a}[/itex]. Then [itex]ln(b)= y ln(a)[/itex] so that [itex]y= ln_a(b)= ln(b)/ln(a)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook