1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the volume between two surfaces

1. Jul 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume between z = x^2 + y^2 and z = 3 - x - y

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I must use a double integral. Using polar coordinates I find that the volume is equal to:

V = ∫∫(3 - rcosθ - rsinθ) r dr dθ - ∫∫r^2 r dr dθ

I'm struggling trying to find the region of integration.
    I found that the projection onto the x-y plane is the circle x^2 + x + y^2 + y = 3, or (x+1/2)^2+(y+1/2)^2 = 7/2. By switching to polar coordinates I get: r^2 + rcos + rsinθ = 3

Since it's a circle, I assume that 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2∏.
    But what about r?

I tought It went from 0 <= r <= √(7/2), but I'm not sure anymore since it's a circle centered outside the origin. What can I do?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those limits would be correct if the circle was centered at the origin, and ##r## and ##\theta## were measured from there. Your integral is $$
    \iint_R 3-x-y-(x^2+y^2)dydx =\iint_R 3-(x+y+x^2+y^2)dydx=\iint_R\frac 7 2 - (x+\frac 1 2)^2-(y+\frac 1 2)^2 dydx$$Now if you let ##x+\frac 1 2 = r\cos\theta## and ##y+\frac 1 2 = r\sin\theta## and ##dydx=rdrd\theta## your limits would be correct. This centers your polar coordinates at the center of the circle.

4. Jul 5, 2012 #3
    Let me see if I understand. What you did was translating both surfaces and the projection to (-1/2, -1/2)?

5. Jul 6, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Rephrase that please. It doesn't make sense to talk about moving an entire surface to a single point. Do you mean translate the surfaces so that (-1/2, -1/2) is translated to (0, 0)?

6. Jul 6, 2012 #5
    Yes, sorry. That was what I wanted to say. To make (-1/2, -1/2) the new origin. That's what happened?

7. Jul 6, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess you could think of it that way. I prefer to think of it as putting the polar coordinates at the center of the circle. Let ##(x,y)## be any point inside the circle. The position vector ##\vec R=\langle x,y\rangle## goes from the origin to that point. Let ##\vec R_0=\langle -\frac 1 2,-\frac 1 2\rangle## be the vector from the origin to the center of the circle. Now if you let ##r,\theta## be the polar coordinates from the center of the circle to ##(x,y)## then the vector from the center of the circle to ##(x,y)## is ##\vec R_1=\langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta\rangle##. Now you have ##\vec R =\vec R_0+\vec R_1## or ##
    \langle x,y\rangle=\langle -\frac 1 2,-\frac 1 2\rangle+\langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta\rangle##.

8. Jul 7, 2012 #7
    Now I get it. Thank you so much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook