Finding the volume between two surfaces

In summary, the problem requires finding the volume between two surfaces using a double integral and polar coordinates. The volume is equal to the integral of 3 minus the sum of the two surfaces, and the region of integration is found by projecting onto the x-y plane and using polar coordinates. To center the polar coordinates at the center of the circle, the surfaces and projection are translated to (-1/2, -1/2).
supermiedos

Homework Statement

Find the volume between z = x^2 + y^2 and z = 3 - x - y

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I must use a double integral. Using polar coordinates I find that the volume is equal to:

V = ∫∫(3 - rcosθ - rsinθ) r dr dθ - ∫∫r^2 r dr dθ

I'm struggling trying to find the region of integration.
I found that the projection onto the x-y plane is the circle x^2 + x + y^2 + y = 3, or (x+1/2)^2+(y+1/2)^2 = 7/2. By switching to polar coordinates I get: r^2 + rcos + rsinθ = 3

Since it's a circle, I assume that 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2∏.
But what about r?

I tought It went from 0 <= r <= √(7/2), but I'm not sure anymore since it's a circle centered outside the origin. What can I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
supermiedos said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume between z = x^2 + y^2 and z = 3 - x - y

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I must use a double integral. Using polar coordinates I find that the volume is equal to:

V = ∫∫(3 - rcosθ - rsinθ) r dr dθ - ∫∫r^2 r dr dθ

I'm struggling trying to find the region of integration.
I found that the projection onto the x-y plane is the circle x^2 + x + y^2 + y = 3, or (x+1/2)^2+(y+1/2)^2 = 7/2. By switching to polar coordinates I get: r^2 + rcos + rsinθ = 3

Since it's a circle, I assume that 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2∏.
But what about r?

I tought It went from 0 <= r <= √(7/2), but I'm not sure anymore since it's a circle centered outside the origin. What can I do?

Those limits would be correct if the circle was centered at the origin, and ##r## and ##\theta## were measured from there. Your integral is $$
\iint_R 3-x-y-(x^2+y^2)dydx =\iint_R 3-(x+y+x^2+y^2)dydx=\iint_R\frac 7 2 - (x+\frac 1 2)^2-(y+\frac 1 2)^2 dydx$$Now if you let ##x+\frac 1 2 = r\cos\theta## and ##y+\frac 1 2 = r\sin\theta## and ##dydx=rdrd\theta## your limits would be correct. This centers your polar coordinates at the center of the circle.

LCKurtz said:
Those limits would be correct if the circle was centered at the origin, and ##r## and ##\theta## were measured from there. Your integral is $$
\iint_R 3-x-y-(x^2+y^2)dydx =\iint_R 3-(x+y+x^2+y^2)dydx=\iint_R\frac 7 2 - (x+\frac 1 2)^2-(y+\frac 1 2)^2 dydx$$Now if you let ##x+\frac 1 2 = r\cos\theta## and ##y+\frac 1 2 = r\sin\theta## and ##dydx=rdrd\theta## your limits would be correct. This centers your polar coordinates at the center of the circle.

Let me see if I understand. What you did was translating both surfaces and the projection to (-1/2, -1/2)?

Rephrase that please. It doesn't make sense to talk about moving an entire surface to a single point. Do you mean translate the surfaces so that (-1/2, -1/2) is translated to (0, 0)?

HallsofIvy said:
Rephrase that please. It doesn't make sense to talk about moving an entire surface to a single point. Do you mean translate the surfaces so that (-1/2, -1/2) is translated to (0, 0)?

Yes, sorry. That was what I wanted to say. To make (-1/2, -1/2) the new origin. That's what happened?

supermiedos said:
Yes, sorry. That was what I wanted to say. To make (-1/2, -1/2) the new origin. That's what happened?

I guess you could think of it that way. I prefer to think of it as putting the polar coordinates at the center of the circle. Let ##(x,y)## be any point inside the circle. The position vector ##\vec R=\langle x,y\rangle## goes from the origin to that point. Let ##\vec R_0=\langle -\frac 1 2,-\frac 1 2\rangle## be the vector from the origin to the center of the circle. Now if you let ##r,\theta## be the polar coordinates from the center of the circle to ##(x,y)## then the vector from the center of the circle to ##(x,y)## is ##\vec R_1=\langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta\rangle##. Now you have ##\vec R =\vec R_0+\vec R_1## or ##
\langle x,y\rangle=\langle -\frac 1 2,-\frac 1 2\rangle+\langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta\rangle##.

LCKurtz said:
I guess you could think of it that way. I prefer to think of it as putting the polar coordinates at the center of the circle. Let ##(x,y)## be any point inside the circle. The position vector ##\vec R=\langle x,y\rangle## goes from the origin to that point. Let ##\vec R_0=\langle -\frac 1 2,-\frac 1 2\rangle## be the vector from the origin to the center of the circle. Now if you let ##r,\theta## be the polar coordinates from the center of the circle to ##(x,y)## then the vector from the center of the circle to ##(x,y)## is ##\vec R_1=\langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta\rangle##. Now you have ##\vec R =\vec R_0+\vec R_1## or ##
\langle x,y\rangle=\langle -\frac 1 2,-\frac 1 2\rangle+\langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta\rangle##.

Now I get it. Thank you so much :)

1. What is the definition of volume between two surfaces?

The volume between two surfaces is the amount of space enclosed between two intersecting surfaces. It is a three-dimensional measurement that represents the total amount of space occupied by an object or substance.

2. How is the volume between two surfaces calculated?

The volume between two surfaces is calculated by using the integral calculus method, specifically the double integral. This method involves breaking down the surfaces into small sections and calculating the volume of each section, then adding them together to get the total volume.

3. What is the importance of finding the volume between two surfaces?

Finding the volume between two surfaces is important in many scientific and engineering applications. It allows us to accurately determine the amount of space occupied by an object, which can be useful in designing and constructing buildings, bridges, and other structures. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as fluid mechanics, where the volume between surfaces can determine the flow rate of a liquid or gas.

4. What factors can affect the volume between two surfaces?

The volume between two surfaces can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the surfaces, the distance between them, and the material they are made of. Other factors that can influence the volume include temperature, pressure, and external forces acting on the surfaces.

5. Can the volume between two surfaces be negative?

No, the volume between two surfaces cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value. If the calculated volume is negative, it means that the surfaces are overlapping or intersecting, and the calculation needs to be revised to accurately determine the actual volume.