Curvilinear n&t motion question engineering mechanics

In summary, the pin is constrained to move in a circular slot of radius 39mm while being constrained to move down with a constant velocity of 8mm/s by a slotted bar. The magnitude of the acceleration of the pin at a specific position can be found by deriving the position function and plugging in the given time value. However, in the given attempt, the position of the pin was calculated incorrectly, resulting in a wrong answer for the acceleration. The correct position is x = 11.4mm and the correct acceleration is 3.7659 mm/s^2.
Kasthuri

Homework Statement

A pin is constrained to move in a circular slot of radius 39mm. At the same time a slotted bar also constrains the pin to move down with constant velocity 8mm/s. (as shown in attached diagram).

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the pin for the position shown?

Homework Equations

NB: instead of using n&t as hinted as suggested, I used x and y coordinate system

The Attempt at a Solution

time taken for pin to move to position:

[39mm x sin(73)] / 8 mm/s = 4.6619... seconds

position of pin is:

x = 39 - sqrt(39^2 - 8^2*t^2)
so
x = 39 - sqrt(1521 - 64t^2)
y = -8t

pin's velocity is downward hence, it's acceleration is due to sideways movement: (x direction):

x^2 - 2*39*x = -64t^2 **

taking differential of **:
2*x*dx/dt - 2*39*dx/dt = -128t ***taking differential of ***:
2*dx/dt + 2x*d^2x/dt^2 - 2*39*d^2x/dt^2 = -128 ****

Now, substitute t=4.6613.. into ** to get x = 17.83... mm

then substitute x and t values into *** to get dx/dt = 14.0959... mm/s

then substitute dx/dt into **** to get d^2x/dt^2 = 2.05515...mm/s^2therefore,

answer: 2.055185 mm/s^2

However, my answer is wrong and I have no idea why?

thank you for any help you can give me

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kasthuri, I don't know if I could help you but you apparently forgot to actually attach the "attached diagram" :)
side question: are you familiar with the lagrangian formalism ?

Sorry and thanks for telling me! I've attached it on my reply
Also, I don't know about the lagrangian formalism.
:)

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 658
Hi, Katsthuri, sorry for my silly question about the lagrangian, I thought you were resolving a different kind of problem and I didn't read your whole post to well since the picture wasn't available
your (**) is wrong, first.
if you are just going to look for derivatives it could not matter too much, but apparently later you use it to find x at the given instant.
I don't follow well you derivations, but one thing is sure, you found the wrong x.
You have correctly expressed x as a function of t
x=39-√(1521-64t²)
you know the position is at t=4.6619, if you plug t there, you won't get x=17.83 but x=11.4, so there you have your first problem.
Now, since you have x(t), why don't you just derive it twice to have the x acceleration as a function of t and then plug in 4.6619 ?

Cheers...

.Your attempt at a solution is correct, but there is a small mistake in your calculations. When you substituted t=4.6619 seconds into ***, you should have gotten x = 17.837 mm (not 17.83 mm). This small difference leads to a slightly different value for dx/dt and ultimately a different value for d^2x/dt^2.

Therefore, the correct answer for the magnitude of acceleration of the pin is 2.0552 mm/s^2. It is always important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values in each step. Keep up the good work!

1. What is curvilinear motion in engineering mechanics?

Curvilinear motion in engineering mechanics refers to the movement of objects along a curved path. This type of motion involves both linear and angular components, and is commonly seen in the real world when objects move in a circular or curved path.

2. What is the difference between curvilinear and rectilinear motion?

The main difference between curvilinear and rectilinear motion is that curvilinear motion involves movement along a curved path, while rectilinear motion involves movement along a straight path. In curvilinear motion, the velocity and acceleration vectors are constantly changing direction, while in rectilinear motion, they remain constant.

3. How is curvilinear motion described in engineering mechanics?

Curvilinear motion in engineering mechanics is typically described using vector analysis, which involves breaking down the motion into its linear and angular components. The position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in curvilinear motion can also be described using equations of motion, such as the tangential and normal components of acceleration.

4. What are some real-world examples of curvilinear motion?

Some common examples of curvilinear motion in the real world include the motion of a rollercoaster, the movement of a pendulum, and the orbit of planets around the sun. Curvilinear motion can also be seen in the movement of cars on a curved road or the trajectory of a projectile.

5. How is curvilinear motion used in engineering design?

Curvilinear motion is an important concept in engineering design, as it allows engineers to analyze and predict the movement of objects in complex systems. By understanding the principles of curvilinear motion, engineers can design structures and machines that can withstand or utilize curvilinear forces and movements.