Finding Uncertainty of the Second Derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the acceleration and uncertainty of an object using the position and time equations. The velocity and acceleration equations are derived, with the acceleration being constant at 0.410. The uncertainty of the position and time equations are given, and the process of using propagation of uncertainty to calculate the uncertainty of acceleration is discussed. The conversation also mentions using the equation from a website and clarifies that v0 refers to v-not.
Gerst
Hey there,

I have a problem to do, in which I need to determine the acceleration of an object and the uncertainty of the acceleration. The position vs. time equation is given by:

s(t) = 0.205t2 + 0.3001t

Therefore, after differentiation, I can state the the velocity vs. time equation is:

v(t) = 0.410t + 0.3001

And that the acceleration of my object is:

a(t) = 0.410

The acceleration is constant, and this is the number that I'm looking for. However, I don't know how to calculate the uncertainty of the acceleration.

I know that the uncertainty of the position for the s(t) equation is +/- 0.005, and that the uncertainty of the time is +/- 0.15. How do I determine the uncertainty of the acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I understand propagation of uncertainty, you'll use the following analysis:

Position function: s = s0 + v0*t + (a*t^2)/2
It looks like s0 is zero, so we get: s = v0*t + (a*t^2)/2
The uncertainty can be calculated as: u(s) = u[v0*t+(at^2)/2]
=> u(v0*t) = v0*t*SQRT[(u(v0)/v0)^2+(u(t)/t)^2]
=> substitute into: u(s) = u(v0*t)+u(at^2/2)
=> u(at^2/2)=1/2 u(a*t^2)
=> u(at^2) = a*t^2*SQRT[(u(a)/a)^2+(u(t^2)/t^2)^2]
=> u(t^2) = 2*t*u(t)

This makes the total uncertainty:

u(s) = v0*t*SQRT[(u(v0)/v0)^2+(u(t)/t)^2]+1/2*a*t^2*SQRT[(u(a)/a)^2+(2*u(t)/t)^2]

You can solve for the u(a) from this equation, but you might need the u(v0). If you don't have it, then I think you can just use u(v0)=0. That would be my approach. I used the equations from the following website: http://www.physics.uc.edu/~bortner/...pendix 2/Appendix 2 Error Propagation htm.htm

When you write v0, do you mean v-not, a.k.a. v0?

1. What is the second derivative?

The second derivative is a mathematical concept that refers to the rate at which the rate of change of a function is changing. In other words, it is the derivative of the derivative of a function.

2. Why is finding uncertainty of the second derivative important?

Knowing the uncertainty of the second derivative allows us to assess the accuracy and reliability of our calculations and predictions. It also helps us understand the sensitivity of the function to changes in its inputs.

3. How is uncertainty of the second derivative calculated?

To find the uncertainty of the second derivative, we use the chain rule and propagation of uncertainty formula. This involves calculating the uncertainties of the function's input variables and propagating them through the derivative calculations.

4. Can the uncertainty of the second derivative be negative?

Yes, the uncertainty of the second derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is highly sensitive to changes in its inputs, and small changes can result in large variations in the second derivative.

5. What are some applications of finding uncertainty of the second derivative?

Finding the uncertainty of the second derivative is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to assess the accuracy of mathematical models and predictions. It is also used in optimization problems to determine the sensitivity of a function to changes in its input variables.