1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Unknown quantities in a circuit

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attached photo
    2. Relevant equations

Kirchhoff's current law

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I was solving for I3 and got the correct answer, but I want to be sure that I arrived at the right answer by using a reliable thought process. I dont wanna get lucky!

So, I had already determied I1 and got 1A.

With that information I thought... It starts out with 2 A, and there are 2 identical resistors (R2 and R3). I3 = 1 A, so these 2 resistors must each have a current of .5 A going through it. From that I found that I3 = .5A

Is this a reliable thought process? What are some other ways to view this problem?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Your method is correct. I believe it is the only way to solve this problem.

4. Jul 11, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Any solution is going to rely on Ohm's and Kirchoff's Laws.
    But you could use the fact that R1 is dissipating 30W to find ##\left(\sf using~\color{blue}{power﹦\frac{E^2}R}\right)## that E=30V

Then, with the battery delivering 30×2=60W, this means the R2 R3 combination is dissipating 30W. So R2##\|##R3 must be 30Ω, and so on ....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted