Finding variance without knowing mean?

In summary, a student's girlfriend encountered a question on her business statistics test that required finding the variance, but the mean was not specified. The student attempted to solve the problem but was unsure if a numerical answer was expected. The student expanded the variance formula and substituted variables, but was still unsure how to proceed. They are seeking insight or clarification on how to solve the problem.
MadMike1986
Hi,

my girlfriend is taking a business statistics class and she had a test today. she got stumped on a question and wrote it down so she could ask me about it when she got back since I'm pretty good at math. I tried solving it but from what i can tell it seems like you would need to know the mean in order to find the variance. the question is below:

Find the Variance:

n = 5
[tex]\Sigma x^{2}[/tex] = 1320
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]x = 80

I expanded out the variance formula. since we run from i=1 to n (where n=5)
I got the formula V = 1320 - 160[tex]u^{2}[/tex] + 5[tex]u^{2}[/tex][tex]/5[/tex]

where u = the mean.

My girlfriend says that the mean was not specified in the problem. I would have given my answer for the variance as a function of the mean as you can see above, but since this is a business statistics class i have the tendency to believe the teacher is expecting a numerical answer. Does anyone have any insight into how this problem can be solved, or is there not enough information given?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
note: in the variance formula that i expanded out, i meant for the entire numerator to be divided by 5. (n=5)

crap i just realized that i wasn't supposed to post this under here. i would delete it but i haven't figured out how yet. until i do i apologize.

What is variance and why is it important to find it?

Variance measures how spread out a set of data is from its mean. It is important because it allows us to understand the variability and distribution of a data set, and can help us make predictions and draw conclusions based on the data.

Can variance be calculated without knowing the mean?

Yes, variance can be calculated without knowing the mean. This can be done by using the formula for sample variance, which involves subtracting each data point from the mean, squaring the differences, and then taking the average of those squared differences. This method uses the data itself to estimate the mean.

What are the potential limitations of finding variance without knowing the mean?

One potential limitation is that the calculated variance may not accurately represent the true variance of the population if the sample size is small. Additionally, if the data is skewed or contains outliers, the calculated variance may not be a reliable measure of variability.

What are some alternative methods for finding variance without knowing the mean?

Another method for finding variance without knowing the mean is to use the median as a measure of central tendency instead. This can be done by calculating the median absolute deviation (MAD), which is similar to the standard deviation but uses the median instead of the mean. Another alternative is to use a statistical software or online calculator that can calculate variance without needing the mean.

How can knowing the variance without the mean be useful in research or experiments?

Knowing the variance without the mean can be useful in identifying patterns and trends in data, as well as detecting any outliers or extreme values. It can also be used to compare the variability between different groups or samples in a study. Additionally, it can help researchers make decisions about the reliability and accuracy of their data.