Finding voltage from a fully charged capacitor?

In summary, the problem asks for the time constants and voltage response of a circuit with an equivalent capacitance of 150uF and a switch in the position connecting a 2k ohm resistor. However, there is no way to determine the initial charge or potential on the capacitors since there are no sources for current or voltage in the circuit. This leaves the voltage response as a vague variable, V(c).
Kevin2341

Homework Statement

I am given a circuit in which my homework is asking my to find the time constants of this circuit:
Capture.PNG

The problem wants the time constants and then wants to find the voltage response when the circuit is in the position connecting the 2k ohm resistor.

the capacitors are assumed to be fully charged at the t=0

Homework Equations

time constants in a RC circuit are simply R*C
v(t)=v(f)-(v(i)-v(f))e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have finished this problem. However, I was wondering, because I do not see an obvious way, is there a way to figure the voltage at the very beginning? I am not given a voltage to which the capacitor was charged, I simply only know that there is an equivalent capacitance of 150uF.

I wrote my voltage response as:
V(t)=V(initial)*e^(-t/0.1125)

Time constant = (2000*3000)/(5000)*150uF

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The circuit as given shows no sources for either current or voltage, so no, there's no way to tell the initial charge or potential on the capacitors.

It's hard to see how the capacitors could have any charge at all since there's always a resistive load across them no matter what the switch position. Perhaps we are to assume that the circuit is assembled instantaneously with charges already on the capacitors and the switch in the "R2" position? If so, what's the point of the switch and R1 :confused: Well, it's a mystery...

That's kind of what I thought too. I left my voltage as V(c), or the voltage of the capacitor. I wasn't sure if I was just missing some equation out there. This is one of those 1 known-2unknown situations, so I'm leaving it as a vague variable :)

What is a fully charged capacitor?

A fully charged capacitor is an electrical component that has reached its maximum possible voltage and has stored a certain amount of electrical energy.

How do I find the voltage of a fully charged capacitor?

The voltage of a fully charged capacitor can be found by using the formula V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge stored on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V).

Can I measure the voltage of a fully charged capacitor with a multimeter?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure the voltage of a fully charged capacitor. Make sure to set the multimeter to the appropriate voltage range and use the positive and negative leads to measure the voltage across the capacitor.

What happens to the voltage of a fully charged capacitor over time?

The voltage of a fully charged capacitor will slowly decrease over time due to internal resistance and leakage. However, it will still maintain a significant amount of charge and can be discharged to produce a current.