Finding Volume Limits and Integration for Paraboloid of Revolution

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
elitespart
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
Volumes: The Disk Method [Resolved]

1. If the area bounded by the parabola y = H - (H/R[tex]^{2}[/tex])x[tex]^{2}[/tex] and the x-axis is revolved about the y-axis, the resulting bullet-shaped solid is a segment of a paraboloid of revolition with height H and radius of base R. Show its volume is half the volume of the circumscribing cylinder

Okay so the thickness of the disk is dy and the area is [tex]\pi[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex]. How do I find the limits of intergration and put x in terms of H and R? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your disks run from y = 0 to y = H.
The incremental volume of each disk is [tex]\pi x^2 \Delta y[/tex]. For any point (x, y) on the parabola, you have a relationship between x and y, so use this relationship to replace x^2.
 
So x^2 = y-H(-R^2/H) and then run that from 0 to H?
 
elitespart said:
So x^2 = y-H(-R^2/H) and then run that from 0 to H?

sounds good, what do you get when you integrate that?
 
I feel like an idiot but I'm having trouble integrating this. Can someone get me started on it? Thanks.
 
[tex]\int_0^H \pi x^2 dy= \int_0^H \pi (y-H)(\frac{-R^2}{H}) dy =\frac{\pi R^2}{H} \int_0^H (H-y)dy[/tex]

...surely, you know how to integrate this?
 
wooow. there's something wrong with me. So I ended up with the volume of a cylinder over 2. Which is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.