1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding volumes via double integrals

1. Jan 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume which lies below the plane [itex]z = 2x + 3y[/itex] and whose base in the [itex]x - y[/itex] plane is bounded by the [itex]x-[/itex] and [itex]y-[/itex]axes and the line [itex]x + y = 1[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex]I = \int\int_{R} f(x, y) dydx = \int^{b}_{a}\int^{y=y_{2}(x)}_{y=y_{1}(x)} f(x, y) dydx[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the integral is of the form:

[itex]\int\int_{C} (2x + 3y) dydx[/itex]

But I am very confused which what the limits are as they give so much information!

I thought maybe something along the lines:

[itex]x = 1 - y \Rightarrow 0 = 2(1 - y) + 3y = 2 - 2y + 3y = 2 + y \Rightarrow y = -2 \Rightarrow x = 3[/itex] (not sure if this helps in any way at all)

And : [itex]2x + 3y = 0 \Rightarrow 3y = -2x \Rightarrow y = -\frac{2}{3}x[/itex] (but once again not sure if this even means anything)

I haven't been formally taught this (at least finding volumes I haven't - I have had 2 tutorials on simply integrating over a region R) and expected to simply DO the assignment :(

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

tms

Consider slicing the volume with vertical slices parallel to the [itex]y[/itex]-axis, which results in this integration:
    [tex]V = \int A(x) dx[/tex]
    where [itex]A(x)[/itex] is the area of each slice. To do the integration, first find an expression for [itex]A(x)[/itex] in term of [itex]x[/itex].

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3
    I'm really sorry but I have no idea what you are asking for :(

Would the limits be 0 <= x <= 1

-x <= y <= x

?

5. Jan 24, 2013 #4

tms

Look up "volume by slicing".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook