1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding waveforms from Fourier Coefficient Values

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the waveforms x1(t) and x2(t) (expressed in a simple form) that are consistent with the sets of Fourier coefficient values provided below. Assume that the period T is equal to 1/10 seconds in both cases

(a-1): a(0) = 6, a(-1) = 3 + 4j, a(1) = 3 - 4j, and a(k) = 0 for k != -1,0,+1

(a-2): a(0) = 4, a(3) = 2e^(jPi/4), a(-3) = 2e^(-jPi/4), and a(k) = 0 for k != -3, 0 , +3

2. Relevant equations

x(t) = Sum[a_k*e^jkω_0*t]

a_k = 1/T integral x(t)*e^-jkω_0*t dt

3. The attempt at a solution

The fundamental frequency can be calculated using the period given. This would be ω = 2∏/T = 2*∏*10 = 20∏. From this I believe we can plug this into the second equation along with the value of k given and set it equal to whatever that value of k was. I am then running into the issue of solving it (assuming that is correct). I do not know what to do with the x(t) term, along with the integral bounds.

Sorry for the sloppy equations, I am new here and haven't had a chance to check out Latex yet fyi.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't have to do any integrals. These are finite Fourier series, and they each have only 3 terms. Just write them out and simplify to sines and cosines and you will have your functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook