1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finf simple limit

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    Find [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\sin(\pi x)}{x-1} [/tex]. I have tried to find this limit by letting [tex] t= \pi x [/tex] t= x-1, etc. All I get is 1/0 or [tex] \pi/0[/tex] or etc., but not the answer the graph of the function suggests. I cannot find the substitution for x that will work. Is there some rule that I can use to find a suitable substitution for x or expression for t. I am doing this for my own interest. Can anyone point me along the correct line of reasoning that will allow me find the expression for t= ? . Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2
    Have you tried l'hopital's rule?

4. Oct 9, 2009 #3
    No, the book does not mention L'Hopital's rule until page 470, I am on page 135, so I don't think it means us to use that rule.

5. Oct 9, 2009 #4
    [tex] \frac{sin(\pi x)}{x-1} = \frac{sin(\pi(x-1) + \pi)}{x-1} = \frac{sin(\pi(x-1))cos\pi + sin(\pi)cos(\pi(x-1))}{x-1} = \frac{-sin(\pi(x-1))}{x-1} [/tex].

Let [tex] t = x - 1 [/tex]. Then [tex] \frac{-sin(\pi(x-1))}{x-1} = \frac{-sin(\pi t)}{t} = \frac{-\pi sin(\pi t)}{\pi t} [/tex].

As x goes to 1, t = x - 1 goes to 0. You know the limit of sin(u)/u as u goes to 0 right? Now use that.

6. Oct 9, 2009 #5
    Thanks very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook