Find the Limit: Finf simple limit Find \lim_{x \rightarrow 1}

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of the function (sin(πx))/(x-1) as x approaches 1. The speaker has tried various substitutions but has not been able to find a suitable one. Another person suggests using L'Hopital's rule, but the speaker is not familiar with it. Eventually, the substitution t = x - 1 is suggested and the limit is rewritten as (-sin(πt))/t. Using the known limit of sin(u)/u as u approaches 0, the speaker is able to find the answer.
John O' Meara
Find [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\sin(\pi x)}{x-1} [/tex]. I have tried to find this limit by letting [tex] t= \pi x [/tex] t= x-1, etc. All I get is 1/0 or [tex] \pi/0[/tex] or etc., but not the answer the graph of the function suggests. I cannot find the substitution for x that will work. Is there some rule that I can use to find a suitable substitution for x or expression for t. I am doing this for my own interest. Can anyone point me along the correct line of reasoning that will allow me find the expression for t= ? . Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you tried l'hopital's rule?

No, the book does not mention L'Hopital's rule until page 470, I am on page 135, so I don't think it means us to use that rule.

[tex] \frac{sin(\pi x)}{x-1} = \frac{sin(\pi(x-1) + \pi)}{x-1} = \frac{sin(\pi(x-1))cos\pi + sin(\pi)cos(\pi(x-1))}{x-1} = \frac{-sin(\pi(x-1))}{x-1} [/tex].

Let [tex] t = x - 1 [/tex]. Then [tex] \frac{-sin(\pi(x-1))}{x-1} = \frac{-sin(\pi t)}{t} = \frac{-\pi sin(\pi t)}{\pi t} [/tex].

As x goes to 1, t = x - 1 goes to 0. You know the limit of sin(u)/u as u goes to 0 right? Now use that.

Thanks very much.

What is a limit in math?

A limit in math is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the independent variable approaches a certain value. It can also be thought of as the value that a function "approaches" or gets closer to, but may not necessarily reach.

How do you solve a limit?

To solve a limit, you can use various methods such as direct substitution, factoring, and algebraic manipulation. If these methods do not work, you can use L'Hopital's rule or graph the function to estimate the limit. Additionally, you can use the limit laws to simplify the expression and then evaluate the limit.

What does it mean to find the limit at a specific value?

Finding the limit at a specific value means evaluating the function as the independent variable approaches that value. In the case of \lim_{x \rightarrow 1}, we are finding the limit as x approaches 1. This means we are looking at the behavior of the function as x gets closer and closer to 1.

Why is it important to find limits?

Finding limits is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions and sequences, especially as the independent variable approaches certain values. It also allows us to solve problems involving rates of change and continuity.

What are some real-life applications of finding limits?

Finding limits has many real-life applications, such as predicting population growth, determining the maximum or minimum values of a function, and calculating velocities and accelerations. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena.