Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Finite and infinitesimal Rotations

1. Aug 8, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I'm not sure about where I should post this question, so sorry in advance if I posted it in the wrong place.

My question is basically this screenshot. So I really have some difficulty in understanding the two equations. I mean how can it not be equal? I understand that rotations are non-commutative, but I really don't see why mathematically these two lines are not equal. Doesn't that violate the properties of matrix exponentials?

Thanks!!!

blank.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In general, if ##A## and ##B## are non-commuting operators, ##e^{A+B} \neq e^A e^B##. You can see this most easily by expanding each side in a Taylor series. The general solution is known as the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula.

EDIT: actually, probably the easiest way to see this is to note that ##e^{A+B}=e^{B+A}## but ##e^A e^B \neq e^B e^A## for noncommuting ##A## and ##B##.

4. Aug 8, 2017 #3
    Ah...I see that now...didn't think it carefully enough

Thanks TeethWhitener!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted