Finite and infinitesimal Rotations

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of non-commutativity in rotations and how it affects the properties of matrix exponentials. It is stated that in general, if two operators do not commute, their exponentials will not be equal. This can be seen through the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula or by noting that the order of non-commuting operators in an exponential matters. The conversation concludes with a thank you for clarification from TeethWhitener.
Josh1079
Hi,

I'm not sure about where I should post this question, so sorry in advance if I posted it in the wrong place.

My question is basically this screenshot. So I really have some difficulty in understanding the two equations. I mean how can it not be equal? I understand that rotations are non-commutative, but I really don't see why mathematically these two lines are not equal. Doesn't that violate the properties of matrix exponentials?

Thanks!

blank.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, if ##A## and ##B## are non-commuting operators, ##e^{A+B} \neq e^A e^B##. You can see this most easily by expanding each side in a Taylor series. The general solution is known as the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula.

EDIT: actually, probably the easiest way to see this is to note that ##e^{A+B}=e^{B+A}## but ##e^A e^B \neq e^B e^A## for noncommuting ##A## and ##B##.

Likes mathwonk
Ah...I see that now...didn't think it carefully enough

Thanks TeethWhitener!

1. What is the difference between finite and infinitesimal rotations?

Finite rotations refer to movements that have a distinct beginning and end point, while infinitesimal rotations involve continuous, incremental changes in position.

2. How are finite and infinitesimal rotations measured?

Finite rotations are typically measured in degrees or radians, while infinitesimal rotations are measured using differential geometry and calculus.

3. What are some real-world examples of finite and infinitesimal rotations?

A real-world example of a finite rotation would be turning a steering wheel to navigate a car, while an infinitesimal rotation could be seen in the movement of a clock's second hand.

4. Can finite rotations be converted into infinitesimal rotations?

Yes, finite rotations can be broken down into smaller, infinitesimal rotations through the use of mathematical techniques such as Euler angles or quaternions.

5. What are the practical applications of studying finite and infinitesimal rotations?

Finite and infinitesimal rotations are important in fields such as robotics, mechanics, and computer graphics, as they help to understand and model the movement and orientation of objects in space. They also have applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of rigid body dynamics and kinematics.