Finite Dimensionality of Linear Map on V

• Thread starter *melinda*
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem and is stuck. He thinks that if there exists a linear map that has a finite null space and range, then V is finite dimensional. However, he does not know how to prove this.
*melinda*
Homework Statement
Prove that if there exists a linear map on V whose null space and range are both finite dimensional, then V is finite dimensional.

The attempt at a solution
I *think* the following is true: For all v in V, T(v) is in range(T), otherwise T(v) = 0 which implies v is in null (T).

Other than that, I know I can write a basis {v_1, ..., v_n} for null(T) and a basis {T(u_1), ..., T(u_m)} for range(T), where range(T) = {T(u) : u is in V}. But since this is a linear map {u_1, ..., u_m} should also be a basis for some U such that U is a subspace of V.

Does anyone know if these assumptions are heading in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
*melinda* said:
Homework Statement
Prove that if there exists a linear map on V whose null space and range are both finite dimensional, then V is finite dimensional.

The attempt at a solution
I *think* the following is true: For all v in V, T(v) is in range(T), otherwise T(v) = 0 which implies v is in null (T).
No, that's not true. T(v)= 0 even when T(v) is in range(T) because 0 is in range(T) (range(T) is a subspace). For a simple example, let V= R2, T<x,y>= <x-y,x-y>. null(T) consists of all vectors of the form <x,x>. Range(T) is exactly null(T).

Other than that, I know I can write a basis {v_1, ..., v_n} for null(T) and a basis {T(u_1), ..., T(u_m)} for range(T), where range(T) = {T(u) : u is in V}. But since this is a linear map {u_1, ..., u_m} should also be a basis for some U such that U is a subspace of V.

Does anyone know if these assumptions are heading in the right direction?
You seem to be assuming that V is the direct sum of range(T) and null(T) and that's not true.

ok, but can I at least write a basis for null(T) and range(T)? I can't see how to prove this without defining something, because I know I can't prove this by only referring to the finite dimensions of null and range.

1. What does it mean for a linear map to have finite dimensionality on V?

Finite dimensionality on V means that the vector space V has a finite number of basis vectors that span the entire space. This also means that any linear map on V can be represented as a finite matrix.

2. How can I determine if a linear map on V has finite dimensionality?

To determine if a linear map on V has finite dimensionality, you can check if the vector space V has a finite number of basis vectors. If it does, then the linear map on V has finite dimensionality.

3. What are the benefits of having a linear map with finite dimensionality on V?

Having finite dimensionality on V allows for easier computations and analysis of the linear map. It also allows for a clear representation of the map as a matrix, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

4. Can a linear map on V have finite dimensionality if V is an infinite dimensional vector space?

No, a linear map on V can only have finite dimensionality if V is a finite dimensional vector space. If V is an infinite dimensional vector space, then the linear map on V will also have infinite dimensionality.

5. How does the finite dimensionality of a linear map on V affect its invertibility?

If a linear map on V has finite dimensionality, then it is possible for the map to be invertible. This is because a finite matrix representing the map can be easily inverted. However, this does not guarantee invertibility as it also depends on the specific properties of the map.