Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fire Gas?

1. Jan 4, 2007 #1
    THroughout school we learned there were 3 basic phases of matter. SOlid, liquid, and gas. THen there is fire which I haven't really tried to put into one. I'd assume it's gas or a 4th phase that came along in my high school years.........plasma. It's very hot and the elctrons are still jumping from the atoms so it may be charged. These are the 2 qualitites of plasma.

Plasma as I reasom exists in 2 states. cooler ionic gas and super heated when it becomes another state of matter. The reason I say this is because ionized gas is sometimes called plasma. THis is the case with the high definition TVs called Plasma TVs. It confuse dme cause I was reasoning that there's no way a TV could hold hot material that's the composition ofThe SUn

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Plasmas aren't necessarily hot -- passing a current through a rarefied gas will produce a plasma. This is how fluorescent and neon lights work. Both kinds of lights use plasma, but are not hot.

- Warren

4. Jan 5, 2007 #3
    Fire is not really matter, what you see when you look at a fire is a chemical reaction of matter converting from a solid to a gas e.g. wood to carbon dioxide and the release of chemical (electromagnetic) energy converted to heat and light.

5. Jan 5, 2007 #4
    2Chroot I said Plasma is just ionized gas, not always hot.

2Tzemach Are you suggestiong fire is just matter transistioning from one state to another?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?