1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First law of thermodynamics rate problem

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    consider a room that is initially at the outdoor temperature of 20 degrees C. The room contains a 100-W lightbulb, a 110-W TV set, a 200-W refrigerator, and a 1000-W iron. Assuming no heat transfer through the walls, determine the rate of increase of the energy content of the room when all of these electric devices are on.

2. Relevant equations
    dE/dt (of the control mass)= -Q(convection)+W(electrical)-Q(conduction)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to take into account that the electrical work is given, but im unsure on how this correlates to the rate of increase of energy. am i solving the first equation i wrote for dE/dt? and if thats the case, how would i find the average heat transfer coefficiant for Q(conv) since i can cancel out Q(conduction)?

thanks a lot
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

You are told to assume no heat is lost.

Honestly, I have no idea what to make out of your analysis of the problem, it seems to be completely off.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?